Are exports and imports cointegrated? Evidence from 22 least developed countries
AbstractThe aim of this article is to investigate whether there is a long-run relationship (cointegration) between exports and imports for 22 least developed countries (LDCs). This is an important issue, for evidence of cointegration will ensure that trade imbalances are sustainable. The article explores this issue using the bounds testing approach to cointegration. The results indicate that exports and imports are cointegrated only for six out of the 22 countries, and the coefficient on exports is less than one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ayla Oğuş Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Intertemporal Solvency of Turkey’s Current Account,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(1), pages 89-104, March.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "Intertemporal solvency of Turkey’s current account," Working Papers 0805, Izmir University of Economics.
- Burak Güris & Burcu Kiran, 2011. "Foreign Trade Deficit Sustainability of Turkey," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 167-174.
- Dierk Herzer & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2005. "Are exports and imports of Chile cointegrated?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 111, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Nag, Biswajit & Mukherjee, Jaydeep, 2012. "The sustainability of trade deficits in the presence of endogenous structural breaks: Evidence from the Indian economy," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 519-526.
- Katircioglu, Salih & Eminer, Fehiman & Aga, Mehmet & Ozyigit, Ahmet, 2010. "Trade and Growth in the Pacific Islands - Empirical Evidence from the Bounds Test to Level Relationships and Granger Causality Tests," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 88-101, December.
- Saleheen, Khan & Farooq Ahmed, Jam & Muhammad, Shahbaz, 2012. "Electricity Consumption and Economic Growth in Kazakhstan: Fresh Evidence from a Multivariate Framework Analysis," MPRA Paper 43460, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Dec 2012.
- Yoshihiro Hashiguchi & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2012.
"The sustainability of trade balances in sub-Saharan Africa: panel cointegration tests with cross-section dependence,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 161-165, February.
- HASHIGUCHI, Yoshihiro & HAMORI, Shigeyuki, 2010. "The sustainability of trade balances in Sub-Saharan Africa: panel cointegration tests with cross-section dependence," MPRA Paper 24054, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- PERERA, Nelson & VARMA, Reetu, 2008. "An Empirical Analysis Of Sustainability Of Trade Deficit: Evidence From Sri Lanka," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 5(1), pages 79-92.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "Global imbalances and the Intertemporal External Budget Constraint: A multicointegration approach," Working Papers 1303, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Daniel Ventosa-santaulària & Manuel Gómez-zaldívar & Lizet A Pérez, 2013. "Long-run relationship with shifts between Mexican current account revenues and expenditures," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1317-1327.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2011. "Are exports and imports cointegrated in India and China? An empirical analysis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 860-873.
- KONYA, Laszlo & SINGH, Jai Pal, 2008. "Are Indian Exports And Imports Cointegrated?," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(2), pages 177-186.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.