Anchoring and transaction utility: evidence from on-line auctions
AbstractThis article presents empirical evidence that people use anchoring to form their valuation of an object. Using data from the on-line auction Bidz.com, we found that people bid more for an item with a higher posted 'buy now' price than for an identical item with the lower posted 'buy now' price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicholas Shunda, 2007.
"Auctions with a Buy Price: The Case of Reference-Dependent Preferences,"
2007-42, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Shunda, Nicholas, 2009. "Auctions with a buy price: The case of reference-dependent preferences," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 645-664, November.
- Grebe, Tim & Ivanova-Stenzel, Radosveta & Kröger, Sabine, 2010.
"Buy-It-Now prices in eBay Auctions - The Field in the Lab,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
294, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Tim Grebe & Radosveta Ivanova-Stenzel & Sabine Kröger, 2009. "Buy-it-Now Prices in eBay Auctions-The Field in the Lab," Cahiers de recherche 0950, CIRPEE.
- Jong-Rong Chen & Kong-Pin Chen & Chien-Fu Chou & Ching-I Huang, 2013.
"A Dynamic Model of Auctions with Buy-It-Now: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 393-429, 06.
- Chen, Jong-Rong & Chen, Kong-Pin & Chou, Chien-Fu & Huang, Ching-I, 2006. "A dynamic model of auctions with buy-it-now: theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 38371, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Nov 2011.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2013. "Optimal Strategy Of Multi-Product Retailers With Relative Thinking And Reference Prices," Working Papers 1313, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.