Economic impact of national sporting success: evidence from the London stock exchange
AbstractIn this article strong association is reported between the performance of the England football team and subsequent daily changes in the FTSE 100 index, representing the price of shares in the 100 largest companies traded on the London stock exchange.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dobson,Stephen & Goddard,John, 2011. "The Economics of Football," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521517140, October.
- Ziemba, William T., 1994. "World wide security market regularities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 198-229, April.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
- Christos Floros, 2010. "The impact of the Athens Olympic Games on the Athens Stock Exchange," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 647-657, September.
- Massimiliano Castellani & Pierpaolo Pattitoni & Roberto Patuelli, 2011.
"Abnormal Returns of Soccer Teams: Reassessing the Informational Value of Betting Odds,"
Working Paper Series
26_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Aug 2013.
- M. Castellani & P. Pattitoni & R. Patuelli, 2012. "Event Clustering and Abnormal Returns: Reassessing the Informational Value of Bets," Working Papers wp817, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Bernd Süssmuth & Stefan Wagner, 2012. "A Market’s Reward Scheme, Media Attention, and the Transitory Success of Managerial Change," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(3), pages 258-278, May.
- Vinod Mishra & Russell Smyth, 2008.
"An Examination Of The Impact Of India'S Performance In One-Day Cricket Internationals On The Indian Stock Market,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
09/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Mishra, Vinod & Smyth, Russell, 2010. "An examination of the impact of India's performance in one-day cricket internationals on the Indian stock market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 319-334, June.
- Jørgensen, Casper W. & Moritzen, Mark R. & Stadtmann, Georg, 2012. "The news model of asset price determination: An empirical examination of the Danish football club Brøndby IF," Discussion Papers 313, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Elisabete F. Sim�es Vieira, 2012. "Investor sentiment and market reaction: evidence on 2010 FIFA World Cup," International Journal of Economics and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1), pages 51-76.
- Jørgensen, Casper W. & Moritzen, Mark R. & Stadtmann, Georg, 2012. "The news model of asset price determination - An empirical examination of the Danish football club Brøndby IF," Discussion Papers of Business and Economics 3/2012, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
- John Luiz & Riyas Fadal, 2010.
"An Economic Analysis of Sports Performance in Africa,"
162, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- John Manuel Luiz & Riyas Fadal, 2011. "An economic analysis of sports performance in Africa," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(10), pages 869-883, August.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2008. "The Effect of On-Field Success on Stock Prices: Evidence from Nippon Professional Baseball," Working Papers 0805, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Terence C. Mills & Peter Dawson & Paul Downward, 2013. "Olympic news and attitudes towards the Olympics: A compositional time-series analysis of how sentiment is affected by events," University of East Anglia Applied and Financial Economics Working Paper Series 046, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK..
- Robert Gasquez & Vicente Royuela, 2012. "Is football an indicator of development at the international level?," Working Papers in Economics 275, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Christian Klein & Bernhard Zwergel & Sebastian Heiden, 2009. "On the existence of sports sentiment: the relation between football match results and stock index returns in Europe," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 191-208, November.
- Georg Stadtmann, 2006. "Frequent News and Pure Signals: The Case of a Publicly Traded Football Club," Working Papers 0603, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Chang, Shao-Chi & Chen, Sheng-Syan & Chou, Robin K. & Lin, Yueh-Hsiang, 2012. "Local sports sentiment and returns of locally headquartered stocks: A firm-level analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 309-318.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.