A smooth transition regression equation of the demand for UK M0
AbstractThe econometric analysis of UK M0 has, so far, been confined to linear models. Using quarterly data over the period 1970:4-1997:2 in a single-equation money demand system, this article shows that a linear error-correction equation of the demand for UK M0 contains significant non-linearity and parameter non-constancy of smooth transition regression (STR) type. A constant-parameter exponential STR (ESTR) equation is then estimated, suggesting that interest rate changes have been an important factor in explaining fluctuations in the demand for UK M0.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996.
"Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Terasvirta, Timo & Wolters, Jurgen, 1999.
"Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 511-25, Sept.-Oct.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Teräsvirta, Timo & Wolters, Jürgen, 1995. "Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 64, Stockholm School of Economics.
- H. Lütkepohl & T. Teräsvirta & J. Wolters, 1995. "Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,57, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Artis, M J & Lewis, M K, 1984. "How Unstable Is the Demand for Money in the United Kingdom?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(204), pages 473-76, November.
- Khadaroo, Ahmad Jameel, 2000. "Testing Restrictions on Cointegrating Vectors: A Comment," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 695-705, October.
- Fredj Jawadi & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2012.
"Modelling Money Demand: Further Evidence from an International Comparison,"
NIPE Working Papers
23/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Fredj Jawadi & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2013. "Modelling money demand: further evidence from an international comparison," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(11), pages 1052-1055, July.
- Srečko Devjak & Ludvik Bogataj, 2007. "Optimisation of short term commercial bank loans to corporates in terms of financing operating activities in Slovenia," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 393-403, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.