Conditional skewness modelling for stock returns
AbstractTwo approaches to modelling conditional skewness in a nonlinear model for stock returns are studied. It is found that a normal distribution can be rejected. A log-generalized gamma distribution with one time-varying density parameter, and a Pearson IV specification with three parameters are better supported by data. While the log-generalized gamma indicates that time-varying skewness is an important feature of the daily composite returns of NYSE, the Pearson IV model suggests that excess kurtosis rather than skewness should be accounted for.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurt Brännäs & Niklas Nordman, 2001.
"An Alternative Conditional Asymmetry Specification for Stock Returns,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
448, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kurt Brannas & Niklas Nordman, 2003. "An alternative conditional asymmetry specification for stock returns," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 537-541.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Nordman, Niklas, 2001. "An Alternative Conditional Asymmetry Specification for Stock Returns," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 556, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
- French, Kenneth R. & Schwert, G. William & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1987. "Expected stock returns and volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-29, September.
- Kurt Brännäs & Jan G. de Gooijer, 2000.
"Asymmetries in Conditional Mean and Variance: Modelling Stock Returns by asMA-asQGARCH,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-049/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jan G. De Gooijer & Kurt Brännäs, 2004. "Asymmetries in conditional mean and variance: modelling stock returns by asMA-asQGARCH," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 155-171.
- Brännäs, Kurt & de Gooijer, Jan G., 2000. "ASYMMETRIES IN CONDITIONAL MEAN AND VARIANCE: MODELLING STOCK RETURNS BY asMA-asQGARCH," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 535, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2005.
"Parameterizing Unconditional Skewness in Models for Financial Time Series,"
Research Paper Series
169, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Parameterizing Unconditional Skewness in Models for Financial Time Series," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(2), pages 208-230, Spring.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Parameterizing unconditional skewness in models for financial time series," CREATES Research Papers 2008-07, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Kurt Brannas & Albina Soultanaeva, 2011. "Influence of news from Moscow and New York on returns and risks of Baltic States’ stock markets," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 109-124, July.
- Lai, Jing-yi, 2012. "Shock-dependent conditional skewness in international aggregate stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 72-83.
- Brännäs, Kurt, 2003. "Temporal Aggregation of the Returns of a Stock Index Series," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 614, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Haas, Markus & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2002.
"Mixed normal conditional heteroskedasticity,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2002/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Brännäs, Kurt & Soultanaeva, Albina, 2006. "Influence of News in Moscow and New York on Returns and Risks on Baltic State Stock Indices," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 696, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Fabio Pizzutilo, 2013. "The Distribution of the Returns of Japanese Stocks and Portfolios," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(9), pages 1249-1259, September.
- Bruno Feunou & Mohammad R. Jahan-Parvar & Roméo Tedongap, 2013. "Which Parametric Model for Conditional Skewness?," Working Papers 13-32, Bank of Canada.
- Stavros Stavroyiannis & Leonidas Zarangas, 2013. "Out of Sample Value-at-Risk and Backtesting with the Standardized Pearson Type-IV Skewed Distribution," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(2), pages 231-247, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.