The simplest American and Real Option approximations: Geske-Johnson interpolation in maturity and yield
AbstractThe American early exercise feature of the Real Option to invest in a new project is important in capital budgeting and project valuation. Closed form solutions for American, and therefore Real, Options are known for two special cases; an infinite horizon generates the Merton (Bell Journal of Economics, 4, 141-83, 1973) solution while a zero dividend yield on the project generates Black-Scholes (Journal of Political Economy, 81, 637-59, 1973) prices since early exercise is never optimal. Geske-Johnson (Journal of Finance, 39, 1511-24, 1984) approximation is extended to a bivariate case by assuming various forms of separability for option prices as a function of time to maturity and yield to produce fully explicit and asymptotically correct approximations. These methods are compared with another simple approximation method due to Barone-Adesi and Whaley (Journal of Finance, 42, 301-20, 1987) and MacMillan (Advances in Futures Options and Research, 2, 117-42, 1987) and the estimated error these expressions contain compared to an accurate numerical benchmark technique.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-24, December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Ju, Nengjiu, 1998. "Pricing an American Option by Approximating Its Early Exercise Boundary as a Multipiece Exponential Function," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 627-46.
- Johnson, H. E., 1983. "An Analytic Approximation for the American Put Price," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 141-148, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.