Fair Value Accounting and the Banking Crisis in 2008: Shooting the Messenger
AbstractThe paper sets out to analyse the effects of the financial crisis on the international standard-setter in 2008 and the attempts made to shoot the messenger -- to blame IAS 39 for creating the crisis for reporting unrealised losses, rather than the cause being bankers making bad investment decisions. It first provides a brief analysis of IAS 39 and fair value accounting for financial instruments. It then sets out the relationship with the Basel II banking regulatory regime. The main part of the paper is a chronological presentation of the events of 2008 as they impact upon the international standard-setting institution. In particular, we analyse the impact of the G20 requirements and the blunt intervention of the European Commission that led to amendments to IAS 39. The final part of the paper looks at the consequences as they are so far discernible and the damage done to the IASB by shooting the messenger.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Accounting in Europe.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAIE20
Other versions of this item:
- André, Paul & Cazavan-Jeny, Anne & Dick, Wolfgang & Richard, Chrystelle & Walton, Peter, 2009. "Fair Value Accounting and the Banking Crisis in 2008: Shooting the Messenger," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5008, Paris Dauphine University.
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jannis Bischof & Ulf Brüggemann & Holger Daske, 2012. "Fair Value Reclassifications of Financial Assets during the Financial Crisis," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-010, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Toman Cristina, 2012. "Global Financial Crisis – An Accounting Literature Review And Overview," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 966-971, July.
- Andreicovici Ionela - Irina, 2011. "Examine The Past For Going Further: A Literature Review In The Field Of Fair Value," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 453-458, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.