An analysis of marketing channels of local food in Scotland
AbstractLocal food and its possibilities for addressing sustainable regional growth, food availability, accessibility and affordability has received considerable attention in the discussion on, and development of, the National Food and Drink Policy in Scotland. Despite this, there is limited empirical evidence about the characteristics of the local food sector in Scotland that allows inference of its potential to address the aforementioned points. Examples of aspects that need to be assessed are the sector’s economic size, how diversified it is, what its marketing channels are, their interest in growing, and what sort of constraints exist. The purpose of this paper is to explore one of the above mentioned questions, namely, the marketing channels used by local food enterprises. This is an interesting question because its answer allows us in some measure to infer the degree of entrepreneurship of the firms involved and their interest in expanding their business. In terms of methodology, the paper analyses the local food database for Scotland constructed in Watts, Leat and Revoredo-Giha (2010) by considering the marketing channels used by product and by region.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rosenberg & Sellier Editori in Torino srl in its journal Sviluppo Locale.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011-12)
Issue (Month): 37-38 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rosenbergesellier.it/
local food; scotland; marketing channels;
Other versions of this item:
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Watts, D. & Leat, Philip M.K., 2010. "An analysis of Marketing Channels of Local Food in Scotland," 116th Seminar, October 27-30, 2010, Parma, Italy 95223, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Watts, D. & Leat, Philip M.K., 2010. "An Analysis Of Marketing Channels Of Local Food In Scotland," Working Papers 109409, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- M30 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - General
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Watts & Philip Leat & Cesar Revoredo-Giha, 2011. "Local Food Activity in Scotland: Empirical Evidence and Research Agenda," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1187-1205, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adriano Boano).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.