Potentials and limitations of local agri-food products in the border area of Northern Portugal and Castilla-Léon: a comparative study
AbstractThis article presents a comparative study of the dynamics of traditional local products in the border area of Northern Portugal and the Spanish province of Salamanca, in Castilla-Lé´on. It analyses the types of products, production processes, qualification strategies, as well as the markets and commercialisation approaches. The study is based on official published documents and interviews with local producers. Results show that the Portuguese regions are better positioned in terms of number of producers of traditional products, especially organic products. On the whole, the major difficulties seem to lie in adequately qualifying, promoting and commercialising the products. Besides, cooperation among local agri-food entrepreneurs is feeble and poses a challenge for the future. In general, localised systems tend to be weak, due to the poor coordination among actors and lack of organisation of local supply chains.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rosenberg & Sellier Editori in Torino srl in its journal Sviluppo Locale.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011-12)
Issue (Month): 37-38 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rosenbergesellier.it/
local agri-food products; border areas; portugal; spain;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
- R3 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adriano Boano).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.