Demand Of Regional Tourists Visiting Lao People'S Democratic Republic: A Dynamic Panel Data Approach
AbstractOver 85% of international tourists visit to Lao PDR are regional tourists from Thailand, Vietnam and China. This study investigates the dynamic panel demand of regional tourists' fromThailand, Vietnam and China visiting Lao PDR. Tourism price, income, substitute tourism price and SARs are the factors that are included in the model. The panel dataset from the period 2000-2011 is estimated by the system Generalized Method of Moment (system GMM) estimation. The result shows that the substitute tourism price and SARs have significant negative effects on regional tourists visiting Lao PDR. Countries such as China and Thailand are complementary destinations of regional tourists visiting Lao PDR. We suggest that Lao PDR should co-operate with China and Thailand for maintaining the number of regional tourists. Moreover, Lao PDR should recognize that planning is necessary for managing the risks of unexpected natural shocks in the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ASERS Publishing in its journal Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism.
Volume (Year): IV (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.asers.eu/journals/jemt.html
Lao PDR; regional tourism; tourism demand; tourism policy; system GMM;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- F5 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy
- F6 - International Economics - - Economic Impacts of Globalization
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cristina Barbu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.