Reliability and Heterogeneity of Real Estate Indexes and their Impact on the Predictability of Returns
AbstractThis paper addresses the issue of data quality in the real estate market. In many countries, the returns indices for direct markets are provided by several sources differing in terms of the methodology adopted and index weights. These differences produce a lack of informative standardization, which could negatively affect the ability of market participants to make predictions. Focusing on the Italian real estate market, the aim of this paper is therefore twofold: to investigate the reliability of property data sources and to assess the impact for financial intermediaries involved in real estate investing. Our results show a significant level of divergence between the data, and considerable implications for those financial institutions dealing with them. These findings conflict with the requirements of an efficient (or at least sub-efficient) market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ASERS Publishing in its journal Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance.
Volume (Year): I (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Pages: 188 - 203
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.asers.eu/journals/jasf.html
real estate; data divergence; IRR; LGD; efficient frontier;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olszewski, Krzysztof, 2012.
"The impact of commercial real estate on the financial sector, its tracking by central banks and some recommendations for the macro-financial stability policy of central banks,"
41059, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Krzysztof Olszewski, 2012. "The impact of commercial real estate on the financial sector, its tracking by central banks and some recommendations for the macro-financial stability policy of central banks," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 132, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Stefanescu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.