A Preamble to Critical Infrastructure Modelling
AbstractInfrastructures, such as plant and services that are critical for the safe and nominal operation of society can be loosely defined as ‘critical infrastructures’ and can take on many different forms e.g. sectoral such as transport systems or components such as high-voltage power lines. The paper is split into 4 parts including: Basic overview of critical infrastructures according to the recent EU directive 2008-114-EC which is the basis for the identification of European critical infrastructures: A simple didactic kernel model consisting of two infrastructures; An overview of three alternative analytical tools for networks and; A summarized Table of modelling techniques from component to system-of-system levels. The kernel model explores 4 different cases of disruption (without recovery) and hence how this might propagate with consequent cascading effects and complete seizure of the network. Three other modelling techniques are then briefly discussed, namely, Petri nets, the Input-output model and agent based modelling. The paper closes with possible developments of the network and what tools may be exploited to model more complex situations and successfully tackle the resulting challenges.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ASERS Publishing in its journal Journal of Advanced Research in Management.
Volume (Year): I (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.asers.eu/journals/jarm.html
Kernel; networks; critical; infrastructure; modelling; nodes; edges; didactic;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C65 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Miscellaneous Mathematical Tools
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- Y2 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Introductions and Prefaces
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andy Stefanescu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.