Competitiveness and Determinants of Coffee Exports, Producer Price and Production for Ethiopia
AbstractThis study analyzed the performance and determinants of coffee exports, producer price and production for Ethiopia. The Revealed Comparative Advantage and Revealed Symmetric Comparative Advantage measures of competitiveness used for the performance analysis show that even though Ethiopia has comparative advantage in export of coffee, the same cannot be said of its overall performance on the international market owing to challenges with management of price risk, high transaction cost resulting from the extensive nature of the supply chain and the numerous actors and processes therein, challenges with quality control, low productivity of growers' fields, and incidence of smuggling. To improve upon its export performance and ensure continuous growth in its exports, prices and production, we propose investment in yield-enhancing innovations, devising and implementation of measures to improve quality control in the supply chain, address issues with price risk, minimize incidence of smuggling, minimize transaction costs, increase and ensure continuous government support to the subsector, hold onto the current devaluation of the Ethiopian birr, ensure payment of fair prices to growers and appropriately transmit future increments, increase current area under cultivation to enhance efficient utilization of the abundant labor, and to attract more export-oriented foreign direct investments (to enhance trade creation).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ASERS Publishing in its journal Journal of Advanced Research in Economics and International Business.
Volume (Year): 1 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://asers.eu/journals/jareib.html
competitiveness; supply chain; determinants; export; producer price; production;
Other versions of this item:
- Boansi, David & Crentsil, Christian, 2013. "Competitiveness and determinants of coffee exports, producer price and production for Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 48869, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Worako, Tadesse Kumma & van Schalkwyk, Herman D. & Alemu, Zerihun Gudeta & Ayele, Gezahegne, 2008. "Producer price and price transmission in a deregulated Ethiopian coffee market," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 47(4), December.
- Boansi, David, 2013. "Export performance and macro-linkages: A look at the competitiveness and determinants of cocoa exports, production and prices for Ghana," MPRA Paper 48345, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas Vollrath, 1991. "A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(2), pages 265-280, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MÄƒdÄƒlina Constantinescu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.