Competition Policy And The Impact Of Market Structure On Companies’ Profitability
AbstractCompetition policy has a role to ensure equal conditions for all market participants. This policy enables the realization of effective competition, which is a prerequisite for economic and broader social progress. To make competition policy be of a good quality it must be based on the findings of economic science, in particular the one concerning industrial organizations and relationships among market structure, conduct and performance of companies (SCP). The analysis of these relationships is the way for identifying market imperfections and the consequences that these imperfections have on society as a whole. The paper promotes economic analysis in the field of competition through empirical evaluation of industrial organization findings. Empirical research has shown a statistically significant positive impact of the change in market share on the change of the profit margin of companies operating in the Serbian beer market. Given that this market is highly concentrated, any increase in market share increases profit margin, and vice versa. Empirical research conducted in the paper is a sound basis for the professional and economics-founded application of modern competition policy measures aimed at preventing and punishing anti-competitive behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SAE - Serbian Association of Economists in its journal SAE Journal.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bulevar Mihajla Pupina 147, Dobrinjska 11, Belgrade, Serbia
Phone: +381 11 3613-409; +381 11 2644-980
Fax: +381 11 3629-689
Web page: http://www.ses.org.rs
More information through EDIRC
competition policy; market structure; market share; non-competitive behaviour; profit rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grabowski, Henry G & Mueller, Dennis C, 1970. "Industrial Organization: The Role and Contribution of Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(2), pages 100-04, May.
- Min, Sungwook & Wolfinbarger, Mary, 2005. "Market share, profit margin, and marketing efficiency of early movers, bricks and clicks, and specialists in e-commerce," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1030-1039, August.
- Shepherd, William G, 1972. "The Elements of Market Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(1), pages 25-37, February.
- Mark Blaug, 2001. "Is Competition Such a Good Thing? Static Efficiency versus Dynamic Efficiency," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 37-48, August.
- Caves, Richard E., 2007. "In praise of the Old I.O," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-12, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Milos Stamatovic).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.