The Outward Projection of Italian Firms: Facts and Figures on Foreign Affiliates
AbstractIn the last two decades or so, globalisation has prompted a great deal of attention in the study of the international organisation of production, with in-depth industry studies on its welfare effects, both for firms and for workers. Outcomes did not prove a unique direction of effects, although the heterogeneous firms’ approach emphasised the intra-industry reallocation through intra-sectoral international competition. Thus, differences in the inner structure of companies filled the gap on the micro-level analysis that featured the study of international trade for several decades, although there is still the need to understand the effects of internationalisation on local systems of production and link such results to the consolidated meso-level of analysis of trade flows. Thanks to the microdata provided by the Italian Statistical Office (ISTAT), we are able to access information on the presence of Italian firms abroad, distinguished by geographical area of origin, destination and industry and check for their influence on affiliates’ structure and performance through appropriate indicators. Copyright Springer-Verlag Wien 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Transition Studies Review.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112913
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Pol Antras & Elhanan Helpman, 2003.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2005, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," NBER Working Papers 10082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antràs, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," CEPR Discussion Papers 4170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antras, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," Scholarly Articles 3196327, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 1999.
"In Search of Substitution Between Foreign Production and Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
7154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A., 2001. "In search of substitution between foreign production and exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 81-104, February.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4784029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maria Chiarvesio & Eleonora Maria & Stefano Micelli, 2013. "Sourcing from Northern and Southern Countries: The Global Value Chain Approach Applied to Italian SMEs," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 389-404, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.