Entry, exit and productivity growth: Spanish manufacturing during the eighties
AbstractThis paper analyses the role played by both competitive pressure (increasing imports) and the restructuring of industries through entry and exit in productivity growth of Spanish manufacturing during the eighties, the key period of its accession to the EEC economy. A GMM panel estimation of the determinants of corrected Solow residual for 75 manufacturing during 1979-1990, shows that these forces accounted for 80% of productivity growth, playing an important role the displacement of inefficient firms by competitive entry. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Spanish Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 6 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miguel García-Posada & Juan S. Mora-Sanguinetti, 2014. "Entrepreneurship and enforcement institutions: Disaggregated evidence for Spain," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1405, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ugur Soytas, 2009. "Modeling Firm Population Dynamics: An Application to the Turkish Manufacturing Industry for the 1950¡V2000 Period," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 8(3), pages 213-223, December.
- Jorge Crespo & Francisco Javier Velázquez, 2003. "Multinationals and diffrsion of technology Between developed countries," European Economy Group Working Papers 26, European Economy Group.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, 2004.
"Learning by Doing and Spillovers: Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 175-203, 06.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, . "Learning by Doing and Spillovers: Evidence from Firm-Level Panel Data," Working Papers 2002-09, FEDEA.
- Angel Estrada & J. David López-Salido, 2001.
"Sectoral and Aggregate Technology Growth in Spain,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0116, Banco de Espa�a.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Martín Bofarull, Mònica, 2006.
"New business formation and employment growth: some evidence for the Spanish manufacturing industry,"
2072/3686, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep Arauzo Carod & Daniel Liviano Solís & Mònica Martín Bofarull, 2008. "New business formation and employment growth: some evidence for the Spanish manufacturing industry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 73-84, January.
- Paloma López-García & Sergio Puente & Ángel Luis Gómez, 2007. "Firm productivity dynamics in Spain," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0739, Banco de Espa�a.
- Asma Raies, 2013. "Firm entry and aggregate efficiency growth: An optimal dynamic - Program of entry and R&D investment," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 10(3), pages 355-376, December.
- Michele Cincera, 2004.
"Impact of market entry and exit on EU productivity and growth performance,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/921, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michele Cincera & Olivia Galgau, 2005. "Impact of Market Entry and Exit on EU Productivity and Growth Performance," Industrial Organization 0503013, EconWPA.
- Michele Cincera & Olivia Galgau, 2005. "Impact of market entry and exit on EU productivity and growth performance," European Economy - Economic Papers 222, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Georges Siotis, 2000. "Market Power, Total Factor Productivity Growth, and Structural Change. An Illustration for Spain, 1983-1996," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0001, Banco de Espa�a.
- Siotis, Georges, 2003. "Competitive pressure and economic integration: an illustration for Spain, 1983-1996," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1435-1459, December.
- Massón Guerra, José Luis, 2007.
"El capital empresarial como determinante de la productividad y el crecimiento en España
[The Impact of Entrepreneurship Capital on Spanish's Labor Productivity and Economic Growth]," MPRA Paper 4073, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.