Testing nonlinearity: Decision rules for selecting between logistic and exponential STAR models
AbstractA new LM specification procedure to choose between Logistic and Exponential Smooth Transition Autoregressive (STAR) models is introduced. The new decision rule has better properties than those previously available in the literature when the model is ESTAR and similar properties when the model is LSTAR. A simple natural extension of the usual LM-test for linearity is introduced and evaluated in terms of power. Monte-Carlo simulations and empirical evidence are provided in support of our claims.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Spanish Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 3 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Samuel S. Jibao & Niek Schoeman & Ruthira Naraidoo, 2011.
"Fiscal regime changes and the sustainability of fiscal imbalance in South Africa; a smooth transition error-correction approach,"
228, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Samuel S Jibao & Niek Schoeman & Ruthira Naraidoo, 2010. "Fiscal Regime Changes and the Sustainability of Fiscal Imbalance in South Africa: A Smooth Transition Error-Correction Approach," Working Papers 201023, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Franchi, Massimo & Ordóñez, Javier, 2011. "Multiple equilibria in Spanish unemployment," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 71-80, February.
- Ordonez, Javier, 2003. "Stability and non-linear dynamics in the broad demand for money in Spain," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 139-146, January.
- Gabriella Legrenzi & Costas Milas, 2005.
"Non-linear real exchange rate effects in the UK labour market,"
Keele Economics Research Papers
KERP 2005/08, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Milas Costas & Legrenzi Gabriella, 2006. "Non-linear Real Exchange Rate Effects in the UK Labour Market," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Gabriella Legrenzi & Costas Milas, 2005. "Non-linear real exchange rate effects in the UK labour market," Macroeconomics 0507019, EconWPA.
- Gabriella Legrenzi & Costas Milas, 2004. "Non-linear real exchange rate effects in the UK labour market," International Finance 0411007, EconWPA.
- Yamin Ahmad & William D. Craighead, 2011.
"Temporal Aggregation and Purchasing Power Parity Persistence,"
Wesleyan Economics Working Papers
2011-001, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Ahmad, Yamin & Craighead, William D., 2011. "Temporal aggregation and purchasing power parity persistence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 817-830, September.
- Yamin Ahmad & William Craighead, 2010. "Temporal Aggregation and Purchasing Power Parity Persistence," Working Papers 10-01, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2011.
- Ahmad, Yamin & Lo, Ming Chien & Mykhaylova, Olena, 2013.
"Volatility and persistence of simulated DSGE real exchange rates,"
Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 38-41.
- Yamin Ahmad & Ming Chien Lo & Olena Mykhaylova, 2011. "Volatility and Persistence of Simulated DSGE Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers 11-01, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2012.
- Liew Khim Sen & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah, 2003.
"Forecasting Performance of Logistic STAR Exchange Rate Model: The Original and Reparameterised Versions,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Lau, Sie-Hoe, 2002. "Forecasting performance of Logistic STAR exchange rate model: The original and reparameterised versions," MPRA Paper 511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alvaro Escribano & Oscar Jorda, .
"Improved Testing And Specification Of Smooth Transition Regression Models,"
Department of Economics
97-26, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Oscar Jorda & Alvaro Escribano, 2003. "Improved Testing And Specification Of Smooth Transition Regression Models," Working Papers 9726, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Konstantin A., Kholodilin, 2003. "Identifying and Forecasting the Turns of the Japanese Business Cycle," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2003008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:30:y:2010:i:1:p:543-557 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ordóñez, Javier & Sala, Hector & Silva, José I., 2010.
"Oil Price Shocks and Labor Market Fluctuations,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5096, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.