The possibility of mixed-strategy equilibria with constant-returns-to-scale technology under Bertrand competition
AbstractWe analyze the Nash equilibria of a standard Bertrand model. We show that in addition to the marginal-cost pricing equilibrium there is a possibility for mixed-strategy equilibria yielding positive profit levels. We characterize these equilibria and find that having unbounded revenues is the necessary and sufficient condition for their existence. Hence, we demonstrate that under realistic assumptions the only equilibrium is marginal-cost pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Spanish Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 2 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steffen Hoernig, 2007. "Bertrand Games and Sharing Rules," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 573-585, June.
- Todd R. Kaplan & Shmuel Zamir, 2011.
"Multiple Equilibria in Asymmetric First-Price Auctions,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp591, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Kaplan, Todd R & Zamir, Shmuel, 2011. "Multiple equilibria in asymmetric first-price auctions," MPRA Paper 34937, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alejandro Saporiti & German Coloma, 2009.
"Bertrand's price competition in markets with fixed costs,"
RCER Working Papers
549, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Alejandro Saporiti & German Coloma, 2008. "Bertrand's price competition in markets with fixed costs," RCER Working Papers 541, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marie-Laure Cabon-Dhersin & Nicolas Drouhin, 2012. "Tacit collusion in a one-shot game of price competition with soft capacity constraints," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00709093, HAL.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2005.
"Bertrand Equilibria and Sharing Rules,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4972, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00709093 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beschorner, Patrick F. E., 2003. "Risk classification and cream skimming on the deregulated German insurance market," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 37, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Kaplan, T.R. & Luski, I. & Wettstein, D., 2000.
"Innovative Activity and Sunk Cost,"
0006, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Ludovic Julien, 2011. "A note on Stackelberg competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 103(2), pages 171-187, June.
- Hoernig, Steffen H., 2002. "Mixed Bertrand equilibria under decreasing returns to scale: an embarrassment of riches," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 359-362, February.
- Routledge, Robert R., 2010. "Bertrand competition with cost uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 356-359, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.