Socioeconomic Indicators for Analyzing Convergence: The Case of Greece: 1960–2004
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to use socioeconomic indicators for analyzing convergence among Greek regions since 1960. We use two alternative approaches. The first one is based on the coefficient of variation and the second one on quality of life rankings. We confirm the decline of regional inequalities in Greece, with the exclusion of the 1980s. Regions with increased tourist and trade activity are also regions with high quality of life. Border regions are usually the laggards of social and economic development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Indicators Research.
Volume (Year): 93 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135
Other versions of this item:
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Georgios Fotopoulos, 2008. "Socioeconomic indicators for analyzing Convergence: the case of Greece: 1960-2004," Working Papers 0014, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Alexiadis & J. Tomkins, 2004. "Convergence clubs in the regions of Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 387-391.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1988. "Wages, Rents, and Amenities: Differences among Workers and Regions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(1), pages 23-41, January.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick & Tang, Paul J G, 1992. "The Macroeconomics of Growth: An International Perspective," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(4), pages 15-28, Winter.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2004. "Convergence and regional productivity differences: Evidence from Greek prefectures," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 387-396, 09.
- Efthymios Tsionas, 2002. "Another Look at Regional Convergence in Greece," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 603-609.
- Hope, Chris & Parker, Jonathan & Peake, Stephen, 1992. "A pilot environmental index for the UK in the 1980s," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 335-343, April.
- Tsakloglou, Panos & Cholezas, Ioannis, 2005. "Education and Inequality in Greece," IZA Discussion Papers 1582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Vicente Royuela & Jordi Suriñach, 2005. "Constituents of Quality of Life and Urban Size," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 549-572, December.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Tracy, Joseph, 1991. "The Structure of Local Public Finance and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 774-806, August.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Leo Michelis & Athanasios Papadopoulos & Gregory Papanikos, 2004. "Regional convergence in Greece in the 1980s: an econometric investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(8), pages 881-888.
- Hope, Chris & Parker, Jon, 1990. "Environmental information for all : The need of a monthly index," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 312-319, May.
- Baumol, William J, 1986. "Productivity Growth, Convergence, and Welfare: What the Long-run Data Show," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1072-85, December.
- Blomquist, Glenn C & Berger, Mark C & Hoehn, John P, 1988. "New Estimates of Quality of Life in Urban Areas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 89-107, March.
- Vicente Royuela & Gustavo Adolfo García, 2010. "Economic and social convergence in Colombia," IREA Working Papers 201014, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Sep 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.