Social choice theory and the “Centre de Mathématique Sociale”: some historical notes
AbstractIn this paper we describe some research directions in social choice and aggregation theory led at the âCentre de MathÃ©matique Socialeâ since the fifties. We begin by presenting some institutional aspects concerning this EHESS center. Then we sketch a thematic history by considering the following questions about the "effet Condorcet" (âvoting paradoxâ): What is it? How is it overcome? Why does it occur? These questions were tackled in Guilbaud's 1952 paper (Les thÃ©ories de l'intÃ©rÃªt gÃ©nÃ©ral et le problÃ¨me logique de l'agrÃ©gation) which will be our leading clue for our inquiry. The conclusion outline some more recent developments researches linked to these questions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 25 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Bernard Monjardet, 2005. "Social choice theory and the "Centre de Mathématique Sociale". Some historical notes," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00198573, HAL.
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- B21 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Microeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mongin, Philippe, 2011.
"Une source méconnue de la théorie de l'agrégation des jugements,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
953, HEC Paris.
- Philippe Mongin, 2012. "Une source méconnue de la théorie de l'agrégation des jugements," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 63(4), pages 645-657.
- Bernard Monjardet, 2004.
"Some order dualities in logic, games and choices,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04018, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Bernard Monjardet, 2007. "Some order dualities in logic, games and choices," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00202326, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00202326 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eisermann, Michael, 2006. "Arrovian juntas," MPRA Paper 81, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Oct 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.