Recoverability of choice functions and binary relations: some duality results
AbstractBanerjee and Pattanaik (1996) proved a theorem that the maximal set with respect to a quasi-ordering can be fully recovered by defining the greatest sets with respect to each and every ordering extension thereof and taking their union. Donaldson and Weymark (1998) proved a theorem that a quasi-ordering can be fully recovered by taking the intersection of all the ordering extensions thereof. These recoverability theorems are obviously related, but their exact relationship has never been clarified in the literature. This paper examines the issue of choice-functional recoverability and relational recoverability in a general framework, and establishes several remarkable duality relationships. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Clemens Puppe & Yongsheng Xu, 2010. "Essential alternatives and freedom rankings," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 669-685, October.
- Walter Bossert & Yves Sprumont & Kotaro Suzumura, 2002.
"Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations,"
Discussion Paper Series
a423, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2002. "Upper semicontinuous extensions of binary relations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 231-246, May.
- BOSSERT, Walter & SPRUMONT, Yves & SUZUMURA, Kotaro, 2002. "Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations," Cahiers de recherche 2002-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Athanasios Andrikopoulos, 2011. "Characterization of the existence of semicontinuous weak utilities for binary relations," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 13-26, January.
- T. Demuynck, 2009. "Common ordering extensions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/593, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.