Characterizing uncertainty aversion through preference for mixtures
AbstractUncertainty aversion is often modelled as (strict) quasi-concavity of preferences over uncertain acts. A theory of uncertainty aversion may be characterized by the pairs of acts for which strict preference for a mixture between them is permitted. This paper provides such a characterization for two leading representations of uncertainty averse preferences; those of Schmeidler  (Choquet expected utility or CEU) and of Gilboa and Schmeidler  (maxmin expected utility with a non-unique prior or MMEU). This characterization clarifies the relation between the two theories.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 18 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: 20 February 1998/Accepted: 25 March 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Klaus Nehring, 2006. "Decision-Making in the Context of Imprecise Probabilistic Beliefs," Economics Working Papers 0034, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00115722 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thibault Gajdos & Feriel Kandil, 2008.
"The ignorant observer,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 193-232, August.
- Nicolas Treich, 2008.
"The Value of a Statistical Life under Ambiguity Aversion,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2291, CESifo Group Munich.
- Treich, Nicolas, 2010. "The value of a statistical life under ambiguity aversion," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 15-26, January.
- TREICH Nicolas, 2008. "The value of a Statistical Life under Ambiguity Aversion," LERNA Working Papers 08.05.249, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Marciano Siniscalchi, 2009.
"Vector Expected Utility and Attitudes Toward Variation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(3), pages 801-855, 05.
- Marciano Siniscalchi, 2007. "Vector Expected Utility and Attitudes toward Variation," Discussion Papers 1455, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00115722 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marciano Siniscalchi, 2003.
"A Behavioral Characterization of Plausible Priors,"
234936000000000064, UCLA Department of Economics.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00177374 is not listed on IDEAS
- LANGE Andreas & TREICH Nicolas, 2007. "Uncertainty, Learning and Ambiguity in Economic Models on Climate Policy: Some Classical Results and New Directions," LERNA Working Papers 07.16.237, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.