Intermediate inequality and welfare
AbstractWe introduce a new centrist or intermediate inequality concept, between the usual relative and absolute notions, which is shown to be a variant of the -ray invariant inequality measures in Pfingsten and Seidl (1997). We say that distributions x and y have the same (x, )-inequality if the total income difference between them is allocated among the individuals as follows: 100% preserving income shares in x, and 100(1-)% in equal absolute amounts. This notion can be made as operational as current standard methods in Shorrocks (1983).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 17 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: 13 May 1998/Accepted: 25 January 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Henar Diez & Mª Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Marta Urrutia, 2007. "Unit-Consistent Aggregative Multidimensional Inequality Measures: A Characterization," Working Papers 66, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2010.
"On Analyzing the World Distribution of Income,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 1-37, January.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2008. "On analysing the world distribution of income," Working Papers 97, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2009. "On analysing the world distribution of income," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 701, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Hedenus, Fredrik & Azar, Christian, 2005. "Estimates of trends in global income and resource inequalities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 351-364, November.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2007. "Rankings of Income Distributions: A Note on Intermediate Inequality Indices," Working Papers 68, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Aitor Lacuesta & Mario Izquierdo, 2012. "The contribution of changes in employment composition and relative returns to the evolution of wage inequality: the case of Spain," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 511-543, January.
- Goerlich, Francisco José & Villar, Antonio, 2009.
"Desigualdad y Bienestar en España y sus Comunidades Autónomas (1973-2003)
[Inequality and welfare in Spain and its Autonomous Communities]," MPRA Paper 19487, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francisco José Goerlich Gisbert & Antonio Villar Notario, 2009. "Desigualdad y bienestar en España y sus comunidades autónomas (1973-2003)," Revista de Economia Aplicada, Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 17(2), pages 119-152, Autumn.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2007.
"New Unit-Consistent Intermediate Inequality Indices,"
63, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Coral Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2010. "New unit-consistent intermediate inequality indices," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 505-521, March.
- Ebert, Udo, 2004. "Coherent inequality views: linear invariant measures reconsidered," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-20, January.
- de la Vega, Casilda Lasso & Seidl, Christian, 2007.
"The Impossibility of a Just Pigouvian,"
Economics Working Papers
2007,10, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2002. "Welfare, inequality and the transformation of incomes the case of weighted income distributions," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 9-50, December.
- Francisco Azpitarte & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2012. "A Dominance Criterion for Measuring Income Inequality from a Centrist View: The Case of Australia," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2012n03, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Satya Chakravarty & Swami Tyagarupananda, 2009. "The subgroup decomposable intermediate indices of inequality," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 83-97, June.
- Coral del Río, 2002. "Desigualdad intermedia paretiana," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 26(2), pages 299-321, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.