articles: Trade policy and regional inequalities
AbstractThis article aims to analyze the effects of trade policies on the pattern of regional inequalities within a country. It is inspired, firstly, by the debate concerning the role of protectionist policies in the development of a pattern of striking regional inequalities during the Spanish industrialization process and, secondly, by current evidence of an increase in these inequalities following Spain's entry in the EU, in 1986. We employ an economic geography model comprising three regions: two domestic and one external. Labor mobility is permitted between the domestic regions but not with the external region. The model shows that trade liberalization increases regional inequalities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 80 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: Received: 4 March 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10110/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eleonora CUTRINI, 2005. "Trends in European Manufacturing Location: Country versus Region," Working Papers 247, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Rodriguez-Pose, Andres & Gill, Nicholas, 2006. "How does trade affect regional disparities?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1201-1222, July.
- Daumal, Marie, 2010. "The Impact of Trade Openness on Regional Inequality: the Cases of India and Brazil," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4295, Paris Dauphine University.
- Pasquale Commendatore & Ingrid Kubin & Carmelo Petraglia & Iryna Sushko, 2014. "Regional integration, international liberalisation and the dynamics of industrial agglomeration," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp164, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Atsumi, Toshihiro, 2010. "Silk, regional rivalry, and the impact of the port openings in nineteenth century Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 519-539, December.
- Pasquale Commendatore & Ingrid Kubin & Carmelo Petraglia & Iryna Sushko, 2012. "Economic integration and agglomeration in a customs union in the presence of an outside region," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp146, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Dao-Zhi Zeng & Laixun Zhao, 2007.
"Globalization, Interregional and International Inequalities,"
Discussion Paper Series
209, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Zeng, Dao-Zhi & Zhao, Laixun, 2010. "Globalization, interregional and international inequalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 352-361, May.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2008. "Regional Integration and International Economic Geography in the Portuguese Case - an update," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/51, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Xi Yang & Nobuaki Hamaguchi, 2013. "Trade infrastructure and firm location under Cournot competition," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 50(1), pages 153-167, February.
- Miren Lafourcade & Elisenda Paluzie, 2008. "European integration, FDI and the geography of French trade," Working Papers halshs-00586834, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.