research notes: The phantom of the matrix: Inverting the case on closure in Cole's model
AbstractIn Closing the Case on Closure in Cole's Model Randall Jackson and Moss Madden critique my solution to the time-lagged regional input-output model. My rebuttal demonstrates that they: i) interpret my model incorrectly, ii) are inconsistent in their own specification, and iii) make inapplicable numerical comparisons between short- and long-term solutions. I show also iv) the correct solution to the totally closed model is neither trivial, nor singular, and v) this resolves the apparent paradox of infinite multipliers in a finite world. Moreover, vi) in my model, injecting exogenous demands equal to export earnings correctly reproduces the base output levels. The standard model does not meet this test.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 78 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: Received: 31 March 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10110/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
- R34 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Input Demand Analysis
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.