Low-wage mobility in the Portuguese labour market
AbstractLow-wage employment has become a matter of concern in many countries, Portugal being among them. In particular, the extent to which low-wage employment is a permanent or transitory situation is an important issue. This paper examines low-wage mobility in the Portuguese labour market using the bivariate probit model proposed by van de Ven and van Praag (1981), in order to account for the potential endogeneity of the initial state. For this purpose, we use a matched employer-employee panel data for 1996 and 2000. Raw figures show that a significant number of workers are trapped into low-wage employment. We also find that males and the better-educated are more likely to escape from such a situation. Furthermore, initial firm characteristics, such as firm size, age and industry influence mobility. In particular, low-wage workers in larger or in newer firms have better mobility prospects. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Portuguese Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 4 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10258/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pimenta, António M. S. & Silva, Francisco J. F. & Vieira, José A. Cabral, 2011. "Duration of Low Wage Employment: A Study Based on a Survival Model," IZA Discussion Papers 5972, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- A. G. Menezes & D. Sciulli & J. C. Vieira, 2011.
"Wage persistence and labour market institutions: an analysis of young European workers,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(9), pages 823-828.
- Menezes, Antonio & Sciulli, Dario & Vieira, José A. Cabral, 2007. "Wage Persistence and Labour Market Institutions: An Analysis of Young European Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 2627, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Proença, Isabel & Vieira, José A. Cabral, 2005.
"Low-Wage Employment in Portugal: A Mixed Logit Approach,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1667, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carlos Barros & Isabel Proenca & Jose Cabral Vieira, 2005. "Low-wage employment in Portugal: a mixed logit approach," Labor and Demography 0508001, EconWPA.
- Crespo, Nuno & Simoes, Nadia & Moreira, Sandrina B., 2013. "Gender Differences in Occupational Mobility – Evidence from Portugal," MPRA Paper 49195, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.