Heteroskedasticity testing through a comparison of Wald statistics
AbstractThis paper shows that a test for heteroskedasticity within the context of classical linear regression can be based on the difference between Wald statistics in heteroskedasticity-robust and nonrobust forms. The test is asymptotically distributed under the null hypothesis of homoskedasticity as chi-squared with one degree of freedom. The power of the test is sensitive to the choice of parametric restriction used by the Wald statistics, so the supremum of a range of individual test statistics is proposed. Two versions of a supremum-based test are considered: the first version does not have a known asymptotic null distribution, so the bootstrap is employed to approximate its empirical distribution. The second version has a known asymptotic distribution and, in some cases, is asymptotically pivotal under the null. A simulation study illustrates the use and finite-sample performance of both versions of the test. In this study, the bootstrap is found to provide better size control than asymptotic critical values, namely with heavy-tailed, asymmetric distributions of the covariates. In addition, the use of well-known modifications of the heteroskedasticity consistent covariance matrix estimator of OLS coefficients is also found to benefit the tests’ overall behaviour. Copyright ISEG 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Portuguese Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 12 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10258/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- José M.R. Murteira & Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho, 2013. "Heteroskedasticity Testing Through a Comparison of Wald Statistics," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_06, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Machado, Jose A. F. & Silva, J. M. C. Santos, 2000. "Glejser's test revisited," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 189-202, July.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Chesher, Andrew & Jewitt, Ian, 1987. "The Bias of a Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1217-22, September.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2000.
"The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1413, Econometric Society.
- Davidson, R. & Flachaire, E., 1999. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The wild bootstrap, tamed at last," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6560, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 58, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Working Papers 1000, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Godfrey, Leslie G., 1978. "Testing for multiplicative heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 227-236, October.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Koenker, Roger, 1981. "A note on studentizing a test for heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 107-112, September.
- L. G. Godfrey & C. D. Orme & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2006. "Simulation-based tests for heteroskedasticity in linear regression models: Some further results," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(1), pages 76-97, 03.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983.
"Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties,"
537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985. "Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- Godfrey, Leslie G., 1996. "Some results on the Glejser and Koenker tests for heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 275-299.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.