Mixed systems with minimal and maximal lifetime variances
AbstractWe consider the mixed systems composed of a fixed number of components whose lifetimes are i.i.d. with a known distribution which has a positive and finite variance. We show that a certain of the k-out-of-n systems has the minimal lifetime variance, and the maximal one is attained by a mixture of series and parallel systems. The number of the k-out-of-n system, and the probability weights of the mixture depend on the first two moments of order statistics of the parent distribution of the component lifetimes. We also show methods of calculating extreme system lifetime variances under various restrictions on the system lifetime expectations, and vice versa. Copyright The Author(s) 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Metrika.
Volume (Year): 75 (2012)
Issue (Month): 7 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102509
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Navarro, Jorge & Balakrishnan, N., 2010. "Study of some measures of dependence between order statistics and systems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 52-67, January.
- Rychlik, Tomasz, 2008. "Extreme variances of order statistics in dependent samples," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(12), pages 1577-1582, September.
- Nickos Papadatos, 1997. "A Note on Maximum Variance of Order Statistics from Symmetric Populations," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 117-121, March.
- Papathanasiou, V., 1990. "Some characterizations of distributions based on order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 145-147, February.
- Balakrishnan, N. & Balasubramanian, K., 1993. "Equivalence of Hartley--David--Gumbel and Papathanasiou bounds and some further remarks," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 39-41, January.
- Rychlik, Tomasz, 1994. "Distributions and expectations of order statistics for possibly dependent random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 31-42, January.
- Nickos Papadatos, 1995. "Maximum variance of order statistics," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 185-193, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.