Economic impact of a new museum on the local economy: “the Gaudí Centre”
AbstractIn this paper we analyse the economic impact of a new museum (the GaudÃ Centre) on the local economy of Reus, a city in the province of Tarragona (southern Catalonia). We use a Keynesian income multiplier model to evaluate the effects of this new cultural venue on local income. In our calculation of the economic impact we distinguish between two phases: the construction phase and the exploitation phase. Our results show the important income impact of this cultural investment on the local economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12076
Other versions of this item:
- Llop Llop, Maria & Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2008. "Economic impact of a new museum on the local economy: "The Gaudí Centre"," Working Papers 2072/9529, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jolanta Dziembowska-Kowalska & Rolf H. Funck, 2000. "Cultural activities as a location factor in European competition between regions: Concepts and some evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 1-12.
- Peter Johnson & Barry Thomas, 1998. "The Economics of Museums: A Research Perspective," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 75-85, June.
- Greig, Michael A, 1971. "The Regional Income and Employment Multiplier Effects of a Pulp Mill and Paper Mill," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(1), pages 31-48, February.
- McGuire, Alistair J, 1983. "The Regional Income and Employment Impacts of Nuclear Power Stations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 30(3), pages 264-74, November.
- Eric Thompson & Mark Berger & Glenn Blomquist & Steven Allen, 2002. "Valuing the Arts: A Contingent Valuation Approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 87-113, May.
- Dick Stanley & Judy Rogers & Sandra Smeltzer & Luc Perron, 2000. "Win, Place or Show: Gauging the Economic Success of the Renoir and Barnes Art Exhibits," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 243-255, August.
- Ricardo Gazel & R. Schwer, 1997. "Beyond Rock and Roll: The Economic Impact of the Grateful Dead on a Local Economy," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 41-55, March.
- Sarah Skinner, 2006. "Estimating the real growth effects of blockbuster art exhibits: A time series approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 109-125, September.
- Beatriz Plaza, 2006. "The Return on Investment of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 452-467, 06.
- Brownrigg, Mark, 1971. "The Regional Income Multiplier: An Attempt to Complete the Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(3), pages 281-97, November.
- Bruno Frey, 1998. "Superstar Museums: An Economic Analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 113-125, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.