Multi-unit auctions with private information: an indivisible unit continuous price model
AbstractWe construct a model of multi-unit auctions in which I bidders bid for two indivisible units of a common value good. Using a first-order approach, we find that there are equilibria in which bidders bid the same price for both units in the discriminatory auction, but not in the uniform auction. When there are only two bidders, under certain conditions, there are linear equilibria for both the discriminatory and the uniform auction formats. In all equilibria, bidders equalize the expected marginal benefit of bidding to the marginal costs of bidding. We show that comparison of the seller’s expected revenue across auction formats depends only on the ratio of the precision of private information to the precision of public information. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 51 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaime F. Zender & James J.D. Wang, 2002. "Auctioning divisible goods," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 673-705.
- Wilson, Robert, 1979. "Auctions of Shares," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 675-89, November.
- Brenner, Menachem & Galai, Dan & Sade, Orly, 2009. "Sovereign debt auctions: Uniform or discriminatory?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 267-274, March.
- Noussair, Charles, 1995.
"Equilibria in a Multi-object Uniform Price Sealed Bid Auction with Multi-unit Demands,"
Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 337-51, March.
- Noussair, C.N., 1995. "Equilibria in a multi-object uniform price sealed bid auction with multi-unit demands," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-381122, Tilburg University.
- Francisco Alvarez & Francisco J. André, 2013. "Auctioning vs. Grandfathering in Cap-and-Trade Systems with Market Power and Incomplete Information," Working Papers 2013.98, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.