Commodity Money in the Presence of Goods of Heterogeneous Quality
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to demonstrate that uncertainty about the quality of a particular commodity does not necessarily exclude it from emerging as commodity money. This is shown in the context of the model of a simple economy with specialized agents and decentralized trade described in Kiyotaki and Wright (1989). In order to derive this result, considerations about marketability of the different goods are taken into account.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 4 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Xavier Cuadras, 1993. "Commodity money in the presence of goods of heterogenous quality," Economics Working Papers 40, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1997.
"A model of commodity money, with applications to Gresham's Law and the debasement puzzle,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-97-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- François R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1999. "A Model of Commodity Money, with Applications to Gresham's Law and the Debasement Puzzle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 291-323, January.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1997. "A model of commodity money, with applications to Gresham's law and the debasement puzzle," Staff Report 215, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, . "A Model of Commodity Money, With Application to Gresham's Law and the Debasement Puzzle," CARESS Working Papres 97-7, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Michael McBride & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2013. "Limelight on dark markets: an experimental study of liquidity and information," ECON - Working Papers 126, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Carlos Álvarez, 2003. "Spanish Monarchy´S Monetary Problems In The Seventeenth Century: Small Change And Foreign Credit," Working Papers in Economic History wh030905, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Xavier Cuadras-Morato & Randall Wright, .
"On Money as a Medium of Exchange When Goods Vary by Supply and Demand,"
CARESS Working Papres
97-1, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Xavier Cuadras & Randall Wright, 1996. "On money as a medium of exchange when goods vary by supply and demand," Economics Working Papers 160, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2004.
"Money and Information,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 915-944.
- Giuseppe Mastromatteo & Luigi Ventura, 2007. "The origin of money: A survey of the contemporary literature," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 195-224, June.
- Peter Rupert & Martin Schindler & Andrei Shevchenko & Randall Wright, 2000. "The search-theoretic approach to monetary economics: a primer," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 10-28.
- Xavier Cuadras-Morató, 1997. "Can ice cream be money?: Perishable medium of exchange," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 103-125, June.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Li, Yiting, 1995. "Commodity money under private information," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 573-592, December.
- Li, Yiting, 1998. "Middlemen and private information," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-159, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.