Non-commitment and savings in dynamic risk-sharing contracts
AbstractWe characterize the solution to a dynamic model of risk sharing under non-commitment when saving is possible. Savings can play two important roles. First savings can be used to smooth aggregate consumption across different periods. Second, when savings are observable, they can act as a collateral that can be seized in the case of default. This relaxes the non-commitment constraint. When the aggregate income is fixed or when one of the agent is risk neutral, the allocation tends to first-best consumption. When one of the agent is risk neutral, this convergence occurs in an expected finite number of periods. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 28 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- GOBERT, Karine & POITEVIN, Michel, 1998. "Non-Commitment and Savings in Dynamic Risk-Sharing Contracts," Cahiers de recherche 9806, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- E20 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geir Asheim & Jon Strand, 1991.
"Long-term union-firm contracts,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 161-184, June.
- Asheim, G.B. & Strand, J., 1989. "Long-Term Union-Firm Contracts," Memorandum 08/1989, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Asheim, G.B. & Strand, J., 1989. "Long-Term Union-Firm Contracts," Papers 10-89, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Strand, J., 1988. "Long-Term Union-Firm Contracts," Memorandum 12/1988, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1991.
"Individual income, incomplete information, and aggregate consumption,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
91-07, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 1995. "Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 805-40, July.
- Pischke, J., 1992. "Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption," Discussion Paper 1992-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Pischke, J.S., 1993. "Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption," Working papers 93-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Pishke, J.S., 1992. "Individual Income, Incomplete Information and Aggregate Consumption," Papers 9238, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Milton Harris & Bengt Holmstrom, 1981.
"A Theory of Wage Dynamics,"
488, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Deaton, Angus, 1991.
"Saving and Liquidity Constraints,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1221-48, September.
- Spear, Stephen E & Srivastava, Sanjay, 1987. "On Repeated Moral Hazard with Discounting," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 599-617, October.
- René Garcia & Annamaria Lusardi & Serena Ng, 1995.
"Excess Sensitivity and Asymmetries in Consumption: An Empirical Investigation,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Garcia, Rene & Lusardi, Annamaria & Ng, Serena, 1997. "Excess Sensitivity and Asymmetries in Consumption: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 154-76, May.
- Garcia, R. & Lusardi, A. & Ng, S., 1995. "Excess Sensitivity and Asymmetries in Consumption: an Empirical Investigation," Cahiers de recherche 9511, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Garcia, R. & Lusardi, A. & Ng, S., 1995. "Excess Sensitivity and Asymmetries in Consumption: An Empirical Investigation," Cahiers de recherche 9511, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Thomas, Jonathan & Worrall, Tim, 1988. "Self-enforcing Wage Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 541-54, October.
- Ambarish, Ramasastry & John, Kose & Williams, Joseph, 1987. " Efficient Signalling with Dividends and Investments," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 321-43, June.
- Schechtman, Jack, 1976. "An income fluctuation problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 218-241, April.
- Gauthier, Celine & Poitevin, Michel & Gonzalez, Patrick, 1997. "Ex Ante Payments in Self-Enforcing Risk-Sharing Contracts," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 106-144, September.
- Dubois, Pierre, 2002. "Consommation, partage de risque et assurance informelle : développements théoriques et tests empiriques récents," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 78(1), pages 115-149, Mars.
- Wahhaj, Zaki, 2010.
"Social norms and individual savings in the context of informal insurance,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 511-530, December.
- Zaki Wahhaj, 2008. "Social Norms and Individual Savings in the Context of Informal Insurance," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 08-20, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Ethan Ligon & Jonathan P. Thomas & Tim Worrall, 2000.
"Mutual Insurance, Individual Savings and Limited Commitment,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(2), pages 216-246, April.
- Ethan Ligon & Jonathan P. Thomas & Tim Worrall, 1998. "Mutual Insurance, Individual Savings and Limited Commitment," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 98/14, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Martin Boyer & Karine Gobert, 2007.
"The Impact of Switching Costs on Vendor Financing,"
Cahiers de recherche
07-18, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Karine Gobert, 2001. "Capital Structure and Risk Management," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-51, CIRANO.
- Tessa Bold & Stefan Dercon, 2009.
"Contract Design in Insurance Groups,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2009-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.