Endogenous fluctuations in unionized economies with productive externalities
AbstractWe discuss the effects of unions on steady-state multiplicity and welfare, and on the existence of endogenous fluctuations. We consider an OG economy with productive capital externalities and we focus on underemployment equilibria. We find that for wide regions in the parameter space, including an arbitrarily small degree of externalities and a Cobb-Douglas technology, unions increase steady state employment and welfare, and local indeterminacy (sunspots) emerges. Moreover with a CES technology multiplicity of steady states is only possible in the presence of unions. Our results also show that the role of unions in shaping local dynamics and bifurcations depends on technology (externalities and factor’s substitutability). Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aloi, Marta & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa, 2006.
"National Labour Markets, International Factor Mobility and Macroeconomic Instability,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marta Aloi & Teresa Lloyd-Braga, 2010. "National labor markets, international factor mobility and macroeconomic instability," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 431-456, June.
- Marta Aloi & Teresa Lloyd-Braga, . "National Labor Markets, International Factor Mobility and Macroeconomic Instability," Discussion Papers 09/10, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Modesto, Leonor, 2007.
"Indeterminacy in a finance constrained unionized economy,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 347-364, April.
- Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Modesto, Leonor, 2004. "Indeterminacy in a Finance Constrained Unionized Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 4679, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2007. "Unemployment dynamics in an OLG economy with public pensions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 549-577, December.
- Koskela, Erkki & Puhakka, Mikko, 2007. "Stability and Dynamics in an Overlapping Generations Economy with Flexible Wage Negotiations," IZA Discussion Papers 3246, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luca Gori & Luciano Fanti, 2009. "Right-to-manage unions endogenous growth and welfare," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 903-917.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2010. "Growth and unemployment in an OLG economy with public pensions," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 737-767, March.
- Yusuke Kinai, 2011. "Design of a Social Security System: Pension System vs. Unemployment Insurance," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 11-12, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.