Financial price fluctuations in a stock market model with many interacting agents
AbstractWe consider a financial market model with a large number of interacting agents. Investors are heterogeneous in their expectations about the future evolution of an asset price process. Their current expectation is based on the previous states of their “neighbors” and on a random signal about the “mood of the market.” We analyze the asymptotics of both aggregate behavior and asset prices. We give sufficient conditions for the distribution of equilibrium prices to converge to a unique equilibrium, and provide a microeconomic foundation for the use of diffusion models in the analysis of financial price fluctuations. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 25 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Horst, Ulrich, 2001. "Financial price fluctuations in a stock market model with many interacting agents," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,36, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J. Scheinkman & U. Horst, 2003.
"Equilibria in Systems of Social Interactions,"
Princeton Economic Theory Working Papers
d5a39039d26e0b08775b915bf, David K. Levine.
- Schütz, Gunter M. & de Almeida Prado, Fernando Pigeard & Harris, Rosemary J. & Belitsky, Vladimir, 2009. "Short-time behaviour of demand and price viewed through an exactly solvable model for heterogeneous interacting market agents," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(19), pages 4126-4144.
- Friedrich Wagner & Thomas Lux & Simone Alfarano, 2005.
"Time-Variation of Higher Moments in a Financial Market with Heterogeneous Agents: An Analytical Approach,"
wp05-02, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas & Wagner, Friedrich, 2008. "Time variation of higher moments in a financial market with heterogeneous agents: An analytical approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 101-136, January.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas & Wagner, Friedrich, 2006. "Time-variation of higher moments in a financial market with heterogeneous agents: An analytical approach," Economics Working Papers 2006,16, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Alfarano, Simone & Lux, Thomas & Wagner, Friedrich, 2005. "Time-variation of higher moments in a financial market with heterogeneous agents: An analytical approach," Economics Working Papers 2005,14, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Simone Alfarano & Thomas Lux & Friedrich Wagner, 2006. "Time-Variation of Higher Moments in a Financial Market with Heterogeneous Agents: An Analytical Approach," Working Papers wpn06-01, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Horst, Ulrich, 2010.
"Dynamic systems of social interactions,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 158-170, February.
- J. Scheinkman & W. Xiong, 2002. "Overconfidence, Short-Sale Constraints and Bubbles," Princeton Economic Theory Working Papers 98734966f1c1a57373801367f, David K. Levine.
- Yoon, Gawon, 2012. "Some properties of periodically collapsing bubbles," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 299-302.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Ulrich Horst & Ronnie Sircar, 2007. "A Limit Theorem for Financial Markets with Inert Investors," Papers math/0703831, arXiv.org.
- Gunter M. Sch\"utz & Fernando Pigeard de Almeida Prado & Rosemary J. Harris & Vladimir Belitsky, 2007. "Short-time behaviour of demand and price viewed through an exactly solvable model for heterogeneous interacting market agents," Papers 0801.0003, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2009.
- Bisin, Alberto & Horst, Ulrich & Ozgur, Onur, 2006. "Rational expectations equilibria of economies with local interactions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 74-116, March.
- Choudhary, M. Ali & Michael Orszag, J., 2008. "A cobweb model with local externalities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 821-847, March.
- Roberto Dieci & Ilaria Foroni & Laura Gardini & Xue-Zhong He, 2005. "Market Mood, Adaptive Beliefs and Asset Price Dynamics," Research Paper Series 162, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Yipeng Yang & Allanus Tsoi, 2013. "Prospect Agents and the Feedback Effect on Price Fluctuations," Papers 1308.6759, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2014.
- Biao Wu, 2007. "Interacting Agent Feedback Finance Model," Papers math/0703827, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.