Investment, interest rate rules, and equilibrium determinacy
AbstractBy adding endogenous investment to a flexible-price, money-in-the-utility-function model, this paper studies the role that physical capital plays in stabilizing the real side of the economy when the monetary authority follows interest-rate feedback rules. We show that with inelastic labor supply equilibrium uniqueness is ensured under both active and passive monetary policies. For the case where money affects both preferences and technology, the uniqueness result remains true under active monetary policy. With endogenous labor supply, the uniqueness result holds again regardless of the stance of monetary policies for the case with separable leisure, but indeterminacy remains likely under both active and passive monetary policies when leisure is nonseparable. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Qinglai Meng & Chong K. Yip, 2002. "Investment, Interest Rate Rules, and Equilibrium Determinacy," Departmental Working Papers _138, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yoshiyasu Ono, 2008. "Determinacy of Equilibrium under Various Phillips Curves," ISER Discussion Paper 0706, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Seiya Fujisaki, 2009. "Habit Formation, Interest-Rate Control and Equilibrium Determinacy," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-23, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Seiya Fujisaki, 2009. "Velocity and Monetary Expansion in a Growing Economy with Interest-Rate Control," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-09, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Chen, Shu-hua & Shaw, Ming-fu & Lai, Ching-chong & Chang, Juin-jen, 2008. "Interest-rate rules and transitional dynamics in an endogenously growing open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 54-75, February.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2004:i:2:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.