Limit-pricing as Bertrand equilibrium
AbstractWe consider a Bertrand duopoly model with increasing returns to scale where one of the firms have a cost advantage and prices vary over a grid. We find that typically more than one equilibria exist. However, there are only two perfect equilibria. Moreover, as the size of the grid becomes small, both these equilibria converge to the limit-pricing outcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 19 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: Received: February 25, 2000; revised version: January 9, 2001
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Germán Coloma, 2010.
"El número óptimo de empresas bajo competencia de Bertrand,"
Estudios de Economia,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 37(2 Year 20), pages 189-205, December.
- Germán Coloma, 2009. "El número óptimo de empresas bajo competencia de Bertrand," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 397, Universidad del CEMA.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2007.
"Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms,"
3353, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2008. "Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 746-761, May.
- Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2004. "Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibrium with a large number of firms," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 04-12, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Zhang, Zibin & Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Wetzstein, Michael E., 2007. "Can the U.S. Ethanol Industry Compete in the Alternative Fuels' Market?," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34867, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:29:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Massimo A. De Francesco, 2008. "Existence of pure strategy equilibrium in Bertrand-Edgeworth games with imperfect divisibility of money," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(29), pages 1-8.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.