Strategy-proofness versus efficiency for small domains of preferences over public goods
AbstractIt has long been known that when agents have von Neumann-Morgenstern preferences over lotteries, there is an incompatibility between strategy-proofness and efficiency (Gibbard, ; Hylland, ) - a solution satisfying those properties must be dictatorial. We strengthen this result by showing that it follows from the same incompatibility on a series of much smaller domains of preferences. Specifically, we first show the incompatibility to hold on our smallest domain, in which two agents are restricted to have linear preferences over one private good and one public good produced from the private good (Kolm triangle economies). This result then implies the same incompatibility on increasingly larger domains of preferences, ending finally with the class of von Neumann-Morgenstern preferences over lotteries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: February 6, 1997; revised version: January 29, 1998
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James Schummer & Rakesh V. Vohra, 1999.
"Strategy-proof Location on a Network,"
1253, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Schummer, James, 2000. "Eliciting Preferences to Assign Positions and Compensation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 293-318, February.
- Diego Moreno & María Moscoso, 2013. "Strategy-proof allocation mechanisms for economies with public goods," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 315-336, January.
- Jin Li & Jingyi Xue, 2013. "Egalitarian division under Leontief Preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 54(3), pages 597-622, November.
- Rebelo, S., 1997. "On the Determinant of Economic Growth," RCER Working Papers 443, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Shasikanta Nandeibam, 2013. "The structure of decision schemes with cardinal preferences," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 205-238, September.
- Salvador Barberà, 2010.
"Strategy-proof social choice,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
828.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.