The robustness of the independent private value model in Bayesian mechanism design
AbstractIn a Bayesian model of group decision-making, dependence among the agents' types has been shown to have a beneficial effect on the design of incentive compatible mechanisms that achieve the efficient choice associated with complete information. This effect is shown here to depend as much upon the use of large monetary transfers among the agents as it does upon dependence: if the transfers are bounded in magnitude, then nonexistence in the case of independence of an efficient, incentive compatible, ex ante budget-balanced and interim individually rational mechanism is robust to the introduction of a small amount of dependence among types. This robustness result supports the use of the simplifying assumption of independence in mechanism design.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: October 28, 1996; revised version: May 28, 1997
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bose, Subir & Zhao, Jinhua, 2003.
"Optimal Use of Correlated Information in Mechanism Design When Full Surplus Extraction May Be Impossible,"
Staff General Research Papers
10579, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bose, Subir & Zhao, Jinhua, 2007. "Optimal use of correlated information in mechanism design when full surplus extraction may be impossible," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 357-381, July.
- Claudio Mezzetti, 2007.
"Mechanism Design with Interdependent Valuations: Surplus Extraction,"
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 473-488, June.
- Claudio Mezzetti, 2005. "Mechanism Design with Interdependent Valuations: Surplus Extraction," Discussion Papers in Economics 05/1, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Mar 2006.
- Gresik, Thomas A., 2011. "The effects of statistically dependent values on equilibrium strategies of bilateral k-double auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 139-148, May.
- Faure-Grimaud, A. & Reiche, S., 2006. "Dynamic yardstick mechanisms," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 316-335, February.
- Olivier Compte & Philippe Jehiel, 2009.
"Veto Constraint in Mechanism Design: Inefficiency with Correlated Types,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 182-206, February.
- Olivier Compte & Philippe Jehiel, 2006. "Veto Constraint in Mechanism Design: Inefficiency with Correlated Types," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000085, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert Gary-Bobo & Yossi Spiegel, 2006.
"Optimal State-Contingent Regulation Under Limited Liability,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 37(2), pages 431-448, Summer.
- Robert Gary‐Bobo & Yossi Spiegel, 2006. "Optimal state‐contingent regulation under limited liability," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(2), pages 431-448, 06.
- Gary-Bobo, Robert J. & Spiegel, Yossi, 2003. "Optimal State-Contingent Regulation under Limited Liability," CEPR Discussion Papers 3920, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R. Gary-Bobo & Y. Spiegel, 2003. "Optimal state-contingent regulation under limited liability," THEMA Working Papers 2003-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Antoine Faure-Grimaud & Soenje Reiche, 2003. "Dynamic Yardstick Regulation," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 459, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Faure-Grimaud, Antoine & Reiche, Sönje Kerrin, 2003. "Dynamic Yardstick Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 4035, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefano Galavotti, 2008. "On Efficient Trading Mechanisms with Ex-Post Individually Rational Traders," Working Papers 161, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Stefano Galavotti & Nozomu Muto & Daisuke Oyama, 2011. "On efficient partnership dissolution under ex post individual rationality," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 87-123, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.