A pitchfork bifurcation in the tatonnement process
AbstractThis note extends the example of Gale (1963) by considering the continuous time tatonnement process for a class of two agent, two commodity exchange economies, parametrized by a number Âµ∈(0,1). We demonstrate that as the parameter passes a threshold value Âµ* the unique, globally stable competitive equilibrium loses local stability while two new locally stable equilibria appear. Intuitively, as Âµ increases the income effect become increasingly more important relative to substitution effect, and eventually overwhelms the latter. As the parameter Âµ approaches 1, the economy tends to the example considered by Gale, as does the limiting behavior of the tatonnement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 10 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: February 28, 1996; revised version August 5, 1996
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anjan Mukherji, 2012.
"The second fundamental theorem of positive economics,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 8(2), pages 125-138, 06.
- Mukherji, Anjan, 2012. "The Second Fundamental Theorem of Positive Economics," Working Papers 12/98, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Yijun He & William A. Barnett, 2004.
0409024, EconWPA, revised 13 Oct 2004.
- Yijun He & William Barnett, 2004. "Singularity Bifurcations," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200412, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2004.
- Mukherji, Anjan, 2010. "Stability of the Market Economy in the Presence of Diverse Economic Agents," Working Papers 8, JICA Research Institute.
- William A. Barnett & Yijun He, 2002. "Bifurcations in Macroeconomic Models," Macroeconomics 0210006, EconWPA.
- Anjan Mukherji, 2003. "Competitive Equilibria: Convergence, Cycles or Chaos," ISER Discussion Paper 0591, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Jan Tuinstra & Claus Weddepohl, 1999. "On the equivalence between the overlapping-generations model and cyclical general-equilibrium models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 187-207, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.