Unemployment Duration and Disability: Evidence from Portugal
AbstractIn this paper we use Portuguese data on individual (multiple) unemployment spells and apply semi-parametric duration models to investigate the effects of different types of disabilities on (re)employment probabilities. We find that disabled persons with muscular, skeletal, geriatric and sensorial problems experience the longest unemployment spells. Organic (blind, deaf or linguistic) disabilities also significantly reduce the probability of finding a job, while intellectual or psychological disabilities do not. We also find that having previous employment experience and vocational training raise the probability of leaving unemployment into employment. Negative duration dependence and unobserved heterogeneity are also found in the data. Policies that seek to promote job accessibility should take into account the heterogeneous nature of the effects of different disabilities on reemployment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Labor Research.
Volume (Year): 33 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12122
Other versions of this item:
- Sciulli, Dario & Menezes, Antonio & Vieira, José António Cabral, 2007. "Unemployment Duration and Disability: Evidence from Portugal," IZA Discussion Papers 3028, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brenda Gannon & Brian Nolan, 2004. "Disability and Labour Force Participation in Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(2), pages 135â155.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. Van Den Berg, 2007.
"The unobserved heterogeneity distribution in duration analysis,"
Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 87-99.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2006. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-059/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2007. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 6219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giuliana Parodi & Dario Sciulli, 2008. "Disability in Italian households: income, poverty and labour market participation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(20), pages 2615-2630.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2006-53 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barbara Petrongolo, 1998.
"Re-employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0406, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 2001. "Reemployment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 716-41, July.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 1999. "Re-Employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," CEPR Discussion Papers 2266, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campolieti, Michele, 2002. "Disability and the labor force participation of older men in Canada," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 405-432, July.
- Kidd, Michael P. & Sloane, Peter J. & Ferko, Ivan, 2000.
"Disability and the labour market: an analysis of British males,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 961-981, November.
- Michael P. Kidd & Peter J. Sloane & Ivan Ferko, 1998. "Disability and the Labour Market: an analysis of British males," Working Papers 98-10, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Thomas Bauer & Mathias Sinning, 2006.
"An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition to Non-Linear Models,"
RWI Discussion Papers
0049, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Thomas Bauer & Mathias Sinning, 2008. "An extension of the Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition to nonlinear models," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 197-206, May.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Ransom, Michael R., 1994. "On discrimination and the decomposition of wage differentials," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 5-21, March.
- Melkersson, Maria, 1999. "Unemployment duration and heterogenous search behavior among Swedish disabled workers," Working Paper Series 1999:5, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Mario Cleves & William W. Gould & Roberto G. Gutierrez & Yulia Marchenko, 2010. "An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 3, number saus3, March.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-56, July.
- Michael Kind, 2013.
"A Level Playing Field – An Optimal Weighting Scheme of Dismissal Protection Characteristics,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0442, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Michael Kind, 2013. "A Level Playing Field: An Optimal Weighting Scheme of Dismissal Protection Characteristics," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 597, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.