Cooperation and Innovative Performance of Firms: Panel Data Evidence from the Czech Republic, Norway and the UK
AbstractUsing panel micro data fro\m Community Innovation Survey in the Czech Republic, Norway and the UK, we estimate dynamic random effects models, in which the innovation output of firms is the function of their cooperative behaviour and other observed characteristics, while accounting for unobserved heterogeneity. The results indicate that the capacity of firms to build on external domestic linkages is what matters most for their innovation output and that external foreign cooperative linkages lead to superior innovative performance only if combined with the domestic ones. Hence, the findings support the take on globalization prevalent in innovation studies that the home base continues to matter and back up the arguments in geography of innovation on the importance of combining local and distant interactions. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of the Knowledge Economy.
Volume (Year): 5 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/13132
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maskell, Peter & Malmberg, Anders, 1999. "Localised Learning and Industrial Competitiveness," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 167-85, March.
- Janz, Norbert & Lööf, Hans & Peters, Bettina, 2004.
"Firm Level Innovation and Productivity - Is there a Common Story Across Countries?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
24, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Peters, Bettina & Lööf, Hans & Janz, Norbert, 2003. "Firm Level Innovation and Productivity: Is there a Common Story Across Countries?," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-26, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Schmidt, Tobias, 2006.
"Empirical evidence on the success of R&D co-operation: Happy together?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Birgit Aschhoff & Tobias Schmidt, 2008. "Empirical Evidence on the Success of R&D Cooperation—Happy Together?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 41-62, August.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2001.
"Foreign subsidiaries as channel of international technology diffusion. Some direct firm level evidence from Belgium,"
IESE Research Papers
D/441, IESE Business School.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 2004. "Foreign subsidiaries as a channel of international technology diffusion: Some direct firm level evidence from Belgium," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 455-476, April.
- Luuk Klomp & George Van Leeuwen, 2001. "Linking Innovation and Firm Performance: A New Approach," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 343-364.
- Peters, Bettina, 2005.
"Persistence of Innovation: Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-81, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bettina Peters, 2009. "Persistence of innovation: stylised facts and panel data evidence," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 226-243, April.
- Bettina Peters, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence," DRUID Working Papers 06-30, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Bettina Peters, 2005. "Persistence of Innovation: Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence," Development and Comp Systems 0511021, EconWPA.
- René Belderbos & Martin Carree & Boris Lokshin, 2006.
"Complementarity in R&D Cooperation Strategies,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 401-426, June.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2005.
"Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 39-54.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2002. "Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity," CeMMAP working papers CWP18/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wladimir Raymond & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Sybrand Schim van der Loeff, 2006.
"Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Wladimir Raymond & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Sybrand Schim van der Loeff, 2010. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is It Spurious?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(3), pages 495-504, August.
- Wladimir Raymond & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Sybrand Schim van der Loeff, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1681, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raymond Wladimir & Mohnen, Pierre & Palm, Franz & Schim, van der Loeff, Sybrand, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Mohnen, Pierre & Schim van der Loeff, S. & Palm, Franz & Raymond, Wladimir, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation in Dutch Manufacturing: Is it Spurious?," MERIT Working Papers 011, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Spyros Arvanitis, 2012.
"How do different motives for R&D cooperation affect firm performance? – An analysis based on Swiss micro data,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(5), pages 981-1007, November.
- Spyros Arvanitis, 2009. "How Do Different Motives for R&D Cooperation Affect Firm Performance? – An Analysis Based on Swiss Micro Data," KOF Working papers 09-233, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- René Belderbos & Vincent Van Roy & Florence Duvivier, 2013. "International and domestic technology transfers and productivity growth: firm level evidence," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 1-32, February.
- Jaakko Simonen & Philip McCann, 2008. "Innovation, R&D cooperation and labor recruitment: evidence from Finland," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 181-194, August.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-96, September.
- Martin Srholec, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and technology change," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2003(5).
- Spyros Arvanitis & Thomas Bolli, 2009. "A Comparison of Firm-level Innovation Cooperation in Five European Countries," KOF Working papers 09-232, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Loof, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2002.
"Knowledge capital and performance heterogeneity: : A firm-level innovation study,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 61-85, March.
- Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "Knowledge Capital and Performance Heterogeneity: A Firm Level Innovation Study," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 387, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 14 Aug 2000.
- Bengt-ake Lundvall & Bjorn Johnson, 1994. "The Learning Economy," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 23-42.
- Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 2007. "Determinants of successful R&D cooperation in Japanese small businesses: The impact of organizational and contractual characteristics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1529-1544, December.
- Sachwald, Frederique, 1998. "Cooperative agreements and the theory of the firm: Focusing on barriers to change," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 203-225, April.
- Gertler, Meric S., 2004. "Manufacturing Culture: The Institutional Geography of Industrial Practice," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233824, September.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.