A distance-based measure of super efficiency in data envelopment analysis: an application to gas companies
AbstractConventional data envelopment analysis (DEA) assists decision makers in distinguishing between efficient and inefficient decision making units (DMUs) in a homogeneous group. Standard DEA models can not provide more information about efficient units. Super-efficiency DEA models can be used in ranking the performance of efficient DMUs and overcome this obstacle. Because of the possible infeasibility, the use of super efficiency models has been restricted. This research proposes a methodology to determine a distance-based measure of super-efficiency. The proposed methodology overcomes the infeasibility problem of the existing ranking methodologies. The applicability of the proposed model is illustrated in the context of the analysis of gas companies’ performance. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Global Optimization.
Volume (Year): 54 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/business/operations+research/journal/10898
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hawdon, David, 2003. "Efficiency, performance and regulation of the international gas industry--a bootstrap DEA approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 1167-1178, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Chen, Yao, 2005. "Measuring super-efficiency in DEA in the presence of infeasibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 545-551, March.
- Jahanshahloo, Gholam Reza & Junior, Helcio Vieira & Lotfi, Farhad Hosseinzadeh & Akbarian, Darush, 2007. "A new DEA ranking system based on changing the reference set," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 331-337, August.
- Chen, Yao, 2004. "Ranking efficient units in DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 213-219, June.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Chang, Hsihui, 2006. "The super-efficiency procedure for outlier identification, not for ranking efficient units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(2), pages 1311-1320, December.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.