Relational capital, profitability and access to credit: evidence from a sample of Italian small firms
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between relational capital and profitability and accessibility to credit of a small firm. The extant literature shows a positive link between relational capital and other variables relevant to a firm’s development but does not cover access to credit. Here, a sample of 136 small firms from Piemonte (north-western Italy) is used. The results show that relational capital eases the access to credit and, in some cases, increases the probability of running positive profits. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Review of Economics.
Volume (Year): 60 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12232
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Westlund & Elin Nilsson, 2003.
"Measuring enterprises’ investments in social capital - a pilot study,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p235, European Regional Science Association.
- Hans Westlund & Elin Nilsson, 2005. "Measuring enterprises' investments in social capital: A pilot study," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1079-1094.
- Roberta Capello & Alessandra Faggian, 2005. "Collective Learning and Relational Capital in Local Innovation Processes," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 75-87.
- Contractor, F. J. & Lorange, P., 2002. "The growth of alliances in the knowledge-based economy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 485-502, August.
- George Baker & Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 2002. "Relational Contracts And The Theory Of The Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 39-84, February.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Minten, Bart, 2001.
"Property Rights in a Flea Market Economy,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(2), pages 229-67, January.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 1999. "Property rights in a flea market economy," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1999-25, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 1999. "Property rights in a flea market economy," CSAE Working Paper Series 1999-25, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Minten, Bart, 1999. "Property rights in a flea market economy," MTID discussion papers 27, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Webster, Elizabeth, 2000. "The growth of enterprise intangible investment in Australia," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Macpherson, Allan & Holt, Robin, 2007. "Knowledge, learning and small firm growth: A systematic review of the evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 172-192, March.
- Carole Uhlaner, 1989. "“Relational goods” and participation: Incorporating sociability into a theory of rational action," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 62(3), pages 253-285, September.
- Knack, Stephen & Keefer, Philip, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-88, November.
- Roberta Capello, 2001. "Spatial and Sectoral Characteristics of Relational Capital in Innovation Activity," ERSA conference papers ersa01p220, European Regional Science Association.
- Migheli, Matteo, 2009.
"Assessing trust through social capital? A possible experimental answer,"
POLIS Working Papers
119, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Matteo Migheli, 2012. "Assessing Trust Through Social Capital? A Possible Experimental Answer," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 298-327, 04.
- Klock, Mark & Megna, Pamela, 2000. "Measuring and valuing intangible capital in the wireless communications industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 519-532.
- Wu, Fang & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Organizational learning, commitment, and joint value creation in interfirm relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 81-89, January.
- Gordon Kingsley & Edward J. Malecki, 2004. "Networking for Competitiveness," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 71-84, 08.
- White, Fred C., 1995. "Valuation Of Intangible Capital In Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Dufhues, Thomas & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Munkung, Nuchanata, 2012. "Individual social capital and access to formal credit in Thailand," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 123401, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Delgado-Gomez, Jose M. & Ramirez-Aleson, Marisa & Espitia-Escuer, Manuel Antonio, 2004. "Intangible resources as a key factor in the internationalisation of Spanish firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 477-494, April.
- Carol Corrado & Charles Hulten & Daniel Sichel, 2009. "Intangible Capital And U.S. Economic Growth," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(3), pages 661-685, 09.
- Villalonga, Belen, 2004. "Intangible resources, Tobin's q, and sustainability of performance differences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 205-230, June.
- Gleason, Katherine I. & Klock, Mark, 2006. "Intangible capital in the pharmaceutical and chemical industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 300-314, May.
- Wei-ping Wu, 2008. "Dimensions of Social Capital and Firm Competitiveness Improvement: The Mediating Role of Information Sharing," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 122-146, 01.
- De Clercq, Dirk & Sapienza, Harry J., 2006. "Effects of relational capital and commitment on venture capitalists' perception of portfolio company performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 326-347, May.
- Chang, Kuo-Hsiung & Gotcher, Donald F., 2007. "Safeguarding investments and creation of transaction value in asymmetric international subcontracting relationships: The role of relationship learning and relational capital," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 477-488, December.
- Matteo Migheli, 2012. "Socialisation, Trust and Reciprocity among Young People," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 148(I), pages 77-95, March.
- Matteo Migheli, 2011. "Capabilities and Functionings: The Role of Social Capital for Accessing New Capabilities," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 133-142.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.