A solution approach to valuation with unhedgeable risks
AbstractWe study a class of stochastic optimization models of expected utility in markets with stochastically changing investment opportunities. The prices of the primitive assets are modelled as diffusion processes whose coefficients evolve according to correlated diffusion factors. Under certain assumptions on the individual preferences, we are able to produce reduced form solutions. Employing a power transformation, we express the value function in terms of the solution of a linear parabolic equation, with the power exponent depending only on the coefficients of correlation and risk aversion. This reduction facilitates considerably the study of the value function and the characterization of the optimal hedging demand. The new results demonstrate an interesting connection with valuation techniques using stochastic differential utilities and also, with distorted measures in a dynamic setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Finance and Stochastics.
Volume (Year): 5 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: received: January 1999; final version received: February 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Henderson, Vicky & Hobson, David G., 2002. "Real options with constant relative risk aversion," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 329-355, December.
- Imkeller, Peter & Reveillac, Anthony & Zhang, Jianing, 2011. "Solvability and numerical simulation of BSDEs related to BSPDEs with applications to utility maximization," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7101, Paris Dauphine University.
- Henderson, Vicky, 2005. "Explicit solutions to an optimal portfolio choice problem with stochastic income," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1237-1266, July.
- Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2009. "Utility maximization in models with conditionally independent increments," Papers 0911.3608, arXiv.org.
- Francesco, MENONCIN, 2003. "Optimal Real Consumption and Asset Allocation for a HARA Investor with Labour Income," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2003015, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Paolo Guasoni & Constantinos Kardaras & Scott Robertson & Hao Xing, 2014. "Abstract, classic, and explicit turnpikes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 75-114, January.
- E. Agliardi & R. Andergassen, 2003.
"Incentives of Stock Options Based Compensation,"
458, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Kraft, Holger & Steffensen, Mogens, 2008. "How to invest optimally in corporate bonds: A reduced-form approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 348-385, February.
- Claudia Ceci & Anna Gerardi, 2011. "Utility indifference valuation for jump risky assets," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 85-120, November.
- Belkacem Berdjane & Serguei Pergamenshchikov, 2013. "Optimal consumption and investment for markets with random coefficients," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 419-446, April.
- M. R. Grasselli & T. R. Hurd, 2004. "Indifference pricing and hedging in stochastic volatility models," Papers math/0404447, arXiv.org.
- Hardy Hulley & T. A. McWalter, 2008. "Quadratic Hedging of Basis Risk," Research Paper Series 225, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Fahim, Arash & Touzi, Nizar & Warin, Xavier, 2011. "A Probabilistic Numerical Method for Fully Nonlinear Parabolic PDEs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5524, Paris Dauphine University.
- Menoncin, Francesco, 2005.
"Cyclical risk exposure of pension funds: A theoretical framework,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 469-484, June.
- Francesco Menoncin, 2005. "Cyclical risk exposure of pension funds: a theoretical framework," Working Papers ubs0503, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Menoncin, Francesco, 2008.
"The role of longevity bonds in optimal portfolios,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 343-358, February.
- Li, Zhongfei & Zeng, Yan & Lai, Yongzeng, 2012. "Optimal time-consistent investment and reinsurance strategies for insurers under Heston’s SV model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 191-203.
- Toshiki Honda & Shoji Kamimura, 2011. "On the Verification Theorem of Dynamic Portfolio-Consumption Problems with Stochastic Market Price of Risk," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 151-166, May.
- Monoyios, Michael, 2007. "The minimal entropy measure and an Esscher transform in an incomplete market model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(11), pages 1070-1076, June.
- Celikyurt, U. & Ozekici, S., 2007. "Multiperiod portfolio optimization models in stochastic markets using the mean-variance approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(1), pages 186-202, May.
- Rama Cont & Andreea Minca, 2013. "Recovering portfolio default intensities implied by CDO quotes," Post-Print hal-00413730, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.