Irreversible investment and industry equilibrium (*)
AbstractWe establish the equivalence of competitive industry equilibrium with a central planner's decision problem under uncertainty, when investment is irreversible. The existence of industry equilibrium is derived, and it is shown that myopic behavior on the part of small agents is harmless, in the sense that it leads to the same decisions as full rational expectations do. Our model is set in continuous time and allows for very general forms of randomness. The methods are based on the probabilistic approach to singular stochastic control theory and its connections with optimal stopping problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Finance and Stochastics.
Volume (Year): 1 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: received: April 1996; final version received: September 1996
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xin Guo & Pascal Tomecek, 2008. "Solving Singular Control from Optimal Switching," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Shah, Sudhir A., 2005. "Optimal management of durable pollution," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1121-1164, June.
- Luis H.R. Alvarez & Erkki Koskela, 2004.
"Irreversible investment under interest rate variability: new results,"
- Luis H. R. Alvarez & Erkki Koskela, 2002. "Irreversible Investment under Interest Rate Variability: New Results," CESifo Working Paper Series 640, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alvarez, Luis H.R. & Koskela , Erkki, 2003. "Irreversible investment under interest rate variability: new results," Research Discussion Papers 29/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Maria B. Chiarolla & Giorgio Ferrari & Frank Riedel, 2012.
"Generalized Kuhn-Tucker Conditions for N-Firm Stochastic Irreversible Investment under Limited Resources,"
1203.3757, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2013.
- Maria B. Chiarolla & Giorgio Ferrari & Frank Riedel, 2012. "Generalized Kuhn-Tucker Conditions for N-Firm Stochastic Irreversible Investment under Limited Resources," Working Papers 463, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- GAHUNGU, Joachim & SMEERS, Yves, 2011. "A real options model for electricity capacity expansion," CORE Discussion Papers 2011044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luis H. R. Alvarez & Erkki Koskela, 2006.
"Irreversible Investment under Interest Rate Variability: Some Generalizations,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 623-644, March.
- Alvarez, Luis H.R. & Koskela, Erkki, 2003. "Irreversible Investment under Interest Rate Variability: Some Generalizations," Discussion Papers 841, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Bernt Oksendal & Agnès Sulem, 2011. "Singular stochastic control and optimal stopping with partial information of Itô--Lévy processes," Working Papers inria-00614279, HAL.
- Maria B. Chiarolla & Giorgio Ferrari, 2011. "Identifying the Free Boundary of a Stochastic, Irreversible Investment Problem via the Bank-El Karoui Representation Theorem," Papers 1108.4886, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2011.
- Frank Riedel & Xia Su, 2011.
"On irreversible investment,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 607-633, December.
- Joachim Gahungu and Yves Smeers, 2012. "A Real Options Model for Electricity Capacity Expansion," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/08, European University Institute.
- Giorgio Ferrari, 2012. "On an Integral Equation for the Free Boundary of Stochastic, Irreversible Investment Problems," Working Papers 471, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Giorgio Ferrari, 2012. "On an Integral Equation for the Free-Boundary of Stochastic, Irreversible Investment Problems," Papers 1211.0412, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2013.
- Jan-Henrik Steg, 2009.
"Irreversible investment in oligopoly,"
415, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Feil, Jan-Henning & Musshoff, Oliver, 2012. "Policy Impact Analysis on Investments and Disinvestments under Competition: A Real Options Approach," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124294, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Tiziano De Angelis & Giorgio Ferrari, 2013. "A Stochastic Reversible Investment Problem on a Finite-Time Horizon: Free Boundary Analysis," Working Papers 477, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Jaime Casassus & Pierre Collin-Dufresne & Bryan R. Routledge, 2005. "Equilibrium Commodity Prices with Irreversible Investment and Non-Linear Technology," NBER Working Papers 11864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keppo, Jussi & Lu, Hao, 2003. "Real options and a large producer: the case of electricity markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 459-472, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.