Endogenous schooling and the distribution of the gender wage gap
AbstractPrevious studies on the gender wage gap have relied on OLS when estimating the wage equations. However, a number of recent studies, devoted to estimating the return to education, have shown that OLS may produce biased estimates for a number of reasons. As a consequence, previous results regarding the gender wage gap may also be biased. In this paper, we first estimate wage equations using a GMM procedure applied to panel data and then investigate the distribution of the gender wage gap. The results indicate that OLS may seriously overestimate the unexplained gender wage gap. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Hansen, Jörgen & Wahlberg, Roger, 1999. "Endogenous Schooling and the Distribution of the Gender Wage Gap," IZA Discussion Papers 78, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
- J7 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis Fernando Gamboa & Blanca Zuluaga, 2011.
"Is there a motherhood penalty? Decomposing the family wage gap in Colombia,"
220, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Luis Gamboa & Blanca Zuluaga, 2013. "Is There a Motherhood Penalty? Decomposing the Family Wage Gap in Colombia," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 421-434, December.
- Luis Fernando Gamboa & Blanca Zuluaga, 2011. "Is there a motherhood penalty? decomposing the family wage gap in Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 010288, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó, 2006.
"The measurement of gender wage discrimination: The distributional approach revisited,"
25, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Coral Río & Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó, 2011. "The measurement of gender wage discrimination: the distributional approach revisited," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 57-86, March.
- Coral del Río Otero & Carlos Gradín Lago & Olga Cantó Sánchez, . "The measurement of gender wage discrimination: the distributional approach revisited," Studies on the Spanish Economy 192, FEDEA.
- Hugo Ñopo, 2008.
"Matching as a Tool to Decompose Wage Gaps,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 290-299, May.
- Juan Pablo Atal & Hugo Nopo & Natalia Winder, 2009.
"New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4640, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Nopo, Hugo & Atal, Juan Pablo & Winder, Natalia, 2010. "New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America," IZA Discussion Papers 5085, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan Pablo Atal & Hugo R. Ñopo & Natalia Winder, 2009. "New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America," IDB Publications 5398, Inter-American Development Bank.
- KUEPIE Mathias & DZOSSA Anaclet Désiré & KELODJOUE Samuel, 2013. "Determinants of labor market gender inequalities in Cameroon, Senegal and Mali: the role of human capital and the fertility burden," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2013-08, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Coral del Río Otero & Carlos Gradín Lago & Olga Cantó Sánchez, 2004. "El enfoque distributivo en el análisis de la discriminación salarial por razón de género," Working Papers 0405, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.