Weighted samples, kernel density estimators and convergence
AbstractThis note extends the standard kernel density estimator to the case of weighted samples in several ways. In the first place I consider the obvious extension by substituting the simple sum in the definition of the estimator by a weighted sum, but I also consider other alternatives of introducing weights, based on adaptive kernel density estimators, and consider the weights as indicators of the informational content of the observations and in this sense as signals of the local density of the data. All these ideas are shown using the Penn World Table in the context of the macroeconomic convergence issue. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- C00 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - General
- C8. - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - -
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juessen, Falko, 2009.
"A Distribution Dynamics Approach to Regional GDP Convergence in Unified Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4177, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Falko Juessen, 2009. "A distribution dynamics approach to regional GDP convergence in unified Germany," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 627-652, December.
- Juessen Falko, 2005. "A distribution dynamics approach to regional GDP convergence in reunified Germany," Urban/Regional 0506008, EconWPA.
- Benito , Juan Miguel & Ezcurra, Roberto, 2004. "Spatial disparities in the European Union: national and sectoral elements," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 4, pages 75-98.
- Goerlich, Francisco José & Mas, Matilde, 2004.
"Three (Marginal?) Questions Regarding Convergence,"
15876, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2004.
- Hisham S. El-Osta, 2010. "Inequality decomposition of farm family living expenditures and the role of the life cycle," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(2), pages 245-266, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.