Short- and long-term unemployment: How do temporary layoffs affect this distinction?
AbstractIn this paper, we provide new evidence on how to model unemployment durations in the presence of temporary layoffs. Two different types of econometric models are used: the multiple phase duration model and the competing risks model. Special attention is paid to the possibility of time-varying or non-proportional effects of the explanatory variables on the hazard function. The results show that instead of using the multiple phase duration model as an alternative to the competing risks model, it may be more fruitful to use it to extend the specification of the competing risks model. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jensen, P. & Nielsen, M.S., 1999. "Short- and Long-Term Unemployment: How do Temporary Layoffs Affect this Distinction?," Papers 99-06, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Staghøj, Jonas & Svarer, Michael & Rosholm, Michael, 2007.
"A Statistical Programme Assignment Model,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3165, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alfonso Alba-Ramirez & Jose Maria Arranz Muñoz & Fernando Muñoz-Bullon, 2006. "Unemployment Duration, Unemployment Benefits And Recalls," Business Economics Working Papers wb066218, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Michael Svarer & Michael Rosholm & Jacob Roland Munch, 2003.
"Rent Control and Unemployment Duration,"
CAM Working Papers
2003-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Svarer, Michael & Rosholm, Michael & Munch, Jacob Roland, . "Rent Control and Unemployment Duration," Economics Working Papers 2003-11, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Svarer, Michael & Rosholm, Michael & Munch, Jakob R., 2003. "Rent Control and Unemployment Duration," IZA Discussion Papers 842, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roed,K. & Nordberg,M., 2001.
"Temporary layoffs and the duration of unemployment,"
12/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Roed, Knut & Nordberg, Morten, 2003. "Temporary layoffs and the duration of unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 381-398, June.
- Alba-Ramirez, Alfonso & Arranz, Jose M. & Munoz-Bullon, Fernando, 2007.
"Exits from unemployment: Recall or new job,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 788-810, October.
- Miguel A. Malo & Fernando Munoz-Bullon, 2008. "Working career progress in the tourism industry: Temp-to-perm transitions in Spain," Business Economics Working Papers wb083510, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer & Bo Hammer, 2004.
"A Danish Profiling System,"
CAM Working Papers
2004-22, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael & Hammer, Bo, 2004. "A Danish Profiling System," IZA Discussion Papers 1418, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer & Bo Hammer, 2004. "A Danish Profiling System," Economics Working Papers 2004-13, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/4624 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anne Lauringson, 2011. "Disincentive effects of unemployment insurance benefits: maximum benefit duration versus benefit level," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 25-50, July.
- Néria Rodréguez-Planas, 2011. "Displacement, Signaling, and Recall Expectations," Working Papers 550, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.