The sensitivity of the RESET tests to disturbance autocorrelation in regression analysis
AbstractThis paper investigates the sensitivity of the RESET tests, proposed by Ramsey (1969) and modified by Thursby and Schmidt (1977), to disturbance autocorrelation in regression analysis. Porter and Kashyap (1984) show that RESET is not robust to autocorrelated disturbance when there is a highly autocorrelated regressor in the model. We show that RESET is sensitive to disturbance autocorrelation even when the regressors are not autocorrelated. We explain the findings of Thursby (1979) and Porter and Kashyap (1984) as well as our result by showing that a spurious correlation between the regressor and the disturbance is responsible for the serious size distortion of the RESET tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: received: June 1999/Final version received: November 2000
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- MacDonald, Peter, 2013. "Labour substitution and the scope for military outsourcing," MPRA Paper 46688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Seung Hyun Hong & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2005.
"Testing Linearity in Cointegrating Relations with an Application to Purchasing Power Parity,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1541, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hong, Seung Hyun & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2010. "Testing Linearity in Cointegrating Relations With an Application to Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(1), pages 96-114.
- Lee, Young-Sook & Kim, Tae-Hwan & Newbold, Paul, 2005.
"Spurious nonlinear regressions in econometrics,"
Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 301-306, June.
- Andrea Vaona, 2008. "Inflation persistence, structural breaks and omitted variables: a critical view," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0802, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Andrea Vaona, 2008. "The sensitivity of nonparametric misspecification tests to disturbance autocorrelation," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0803, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Andrea Vaona, 2010. "Spatial autocorrelation and the sensitivity of RESET: a simulation study," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 89-103, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:56:p:1-4 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.