Measuring persistence in aggregate output: ARMA models, fractionally integrated ARMA models and nonparametric procedures
AbstractEconometric issues in the estimation of persistence in macroeconomic time series are considered. In particular, the relative merits of estimates based on ARMA models, ARFIMA models and nonparametric procedures are investigated. It is shown that ARFIMA models are inappropriate for the purpose of estimating persistence. Furthermore, some of the criticism leveled in the literature against the use of ARMA models for estimating long run properties is put into perspective. Methodological issues arising in the estimation of ARMA models that are relevant to estimation of persistence are discussed. It is shown how overparameterization of an ARMA model may lead to severely downward biased estimates of persistence. The theoretical results are employed to explain some of the findings in Campbell & Mankiw (1987a) and Christiano & Eichenbaum (1990). The methodological aspects of the paper are also relevant for the problem of estimating the value of a spectral density at any given frequency. An empirical study confirms persistence estimates reported in Campbell & Mankiw (1987a), and shows that ARMA models as well as nonparametric procedures give very similar estimates of persistence if properly applied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: received: May 1996/final version received: March 1998
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koop, Gary & Ley, Eduardo & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997.
"Bayesian analysis of long memory and persistence using ARFIMA models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 149-169.
- Gary Koop, 1995. "Bayesian Analysis of Long Memory and Persistence using ARFIMA Models," Working Papers gkoop-95-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Koop, G. & Ley, E. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M. F. J., . "Bayesian analysis of long memory and persistence using ARFIMA models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1246, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- KOOP , Gary & LEY , Eduardo & OSIEWALSKI , Jacek & STEEL , Mark, 1995. "Bayesian Analysis of Long Memory and Persistence using ARFIMA Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gary Koop & Eduardo Ley & Jacek Osiewalski & Mark F.J. Steel, 1995. "Bayesian Analysis of Long Memory and Persistence using ARFIMA Models," Econometrics 9505001, EconWPA, revised 11 Jul 1995.
- María Dolores Gadea & Laura Mayoral, 2006.
"The Persistence of Inflation in OECD Countries: A Fractionally Integrated Approach,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(1), March.
- Laura Mayoral, 2005. "The persistence of inflation in OECD countries: A fractionally integrated approach," Economics Working Papers 958, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2005.
- Gadea, Maria & Mayoral, Laura, 2005. "The Persistence of Inflation in OECD Countries: A Fractionally Integrated Approach," MPRA Paper 815, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Verspagen,Bart, 1999.
"Intellectual Property Rights in the World Economy,"
016, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Verspagen, Bart, 2003. "Intellectual property rights in the world economy," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18121, Maastricht University.
- Silverberg,Gerald & Verspagen,Bart, 1999.
"Long Memory in Time Series of Economic Growth and Convergence,"
015, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Silverberg, G. & Verspagen, Bart, 1999. "Long Memory in Time Series of Economic Growth and Convergence," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 99.8, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Silverberg,Gerald & Verspagen,Bart, 2000.
"A Note on Michelacci and Zaffaroni, Long Memory, and Time Series of Economic Growth,"
031, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- B. Verspagen & G. Silverberg, 2000. "A note on Michelacci and Zaffaroni, long memory, and time series of economic growth," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 00.17, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Ossama Mikhail & Curtis J. Eberwein & Jagdish Handa, 2003. "Testing and Estimating Persistence in Canadian Unemployment," Econometrics 0311004, EconWPA.
- Derek Bond & Michael J. Harrison & Edward J. O'Brien, 2005.
"Testing for Long Memory and Nonlinear Time Series: A Demand for Money Study,"
Trinity Economics Papers
tep20021, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Bond, Derek & Harrison, Michael J & O’Brien, Edward J., 2006. "Testing for Long Memory and Nonlinear Time Series: A Demand for Money Study," Research Technical Papers 2/RT/06, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Stefan C. Norrbin & Aaron D. Smallwood, 2006. "Generalized long memory processes, failure of cointegration tests and exchange rate dynamics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 409-417.
- Hassler, Uwe, 2012. "Impulse responses of antipersistent processes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 454-456.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.